The Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences is committed to providing outstanding educational opportunities for our students. Dedicated faculty and clinicians implement the most current research and innovative teaching strategies to facilitate classroom and practical experiences.
For more information on ways to
Office of Institutional Advancement
220 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Read the case statement
for the Department of
For other giving options, visit
the U of M Foundation.
Make a gift to the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Science online through the University of Minnesota Foundation.
What Your Gift Can Do
Your generous support for the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences is more critical than ever. It helps us attract and retain the very best scholars and students to the department and helps us maintain our stellar ranking in both audiology and speech-language pathology.
Your contribution allows us to ensure:
- A distinguished faculty: creating endowed chairs and professorships and supporting interdisciplinary centers and programs of research will help us recruit and retain outstanding faculty.
- Excellence and competitiveness of our graduate program: faculty choose institutions that attract the best graduate students. We need to ensure the excellence and competitiveness of our graduate programs so that we may compete for the best faculty and brightest students.
- A diverse and engaged undergraduate student body: although we are attracting better students than even before, too many outstanding students choose other institutions. The deciding factor is often finances. Merit and need-based scholarships are absolutely essential.
- An outstanding clinical program in speech pathology and audiology services: we offer a wide range of services for children and adults.
Choose a Fund
To remain competitive, we need your support for graduate student fellowships and undergraduate scholarships. We have several endowed funds that may interest you. See award winners.
- Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences Discretionary Fund
Unrestricted gifts to this fund support the most critical needs of the department.
- Davis Speech-Language-Hearing Center
Gifts to the clinic can support services for clients with a financial need, help provide innovative services, and assist us with technology needs that impact our students, staff, and clients.
- The Charles E. Speaks Fellowship Fund
Provides fellowships to full-time students in our PhD program. This fund honors Dr. Charles E. Speaks, who left the department in 2005 after 38 years of leadership. Professor Speaks received the Honors of the American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association in 2003, and holds the University of Minnesota Horace T. Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professorship.
- Leslie E. Glaze Graduate Fellowship
Provides fellowships to full-time students in our PhD program. This fund honors the many contributions of Dr. Leslie E. Glaze who left her role as Director of Clinical Programs in the Department in 2004. Dr. Glaze is a leader in the profession having served as President of the Minnesota Speech-Language-Hearing Association. She became an ASHA Fellow in 2005.
- Clark D. Starr Family Fellowship
Provides support to outstanding MA students in the Speech-Language Pathology program and may be used for tuition and/or stipends.
- Robert G. Robinson Scholarship
Provides scholarships to outstanding students in the Doctorate of Audiology program.
- Bryng Bryngelson Communication Disorders Research Fund
Supports the research projects, including professional travel to present research, of graduate and undergraduate students.
- The Gerald M. Siegel Student Initiative Fund
Created by Gerald and Eileen Siegel to recognize Professor Siegel's affiliation with the department from 1961 to his retirement in 1997, the fund supports projects proposed by a committee of undergraduate and graduate students, with the guidance of the department chair, to further the educational experience of the department's masters and undergraduate students.