Brenda J Child
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: History, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, none.
- M.A.: History, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, none.
- B.S. Ed.: History & Social Studies, Bemidji State University, Bemidji, MN, none.
- American Indian history
- native culture
- AmSt 1907W - Freshman Seminar - After Wounded Knee: American Indians
- AmSt 3113W - America's Diverse Cultures
Research & Professional Activities
- Editorial Board, Ethnohistory: 2001
- Member, Graduate Studies Committee, Program in American Studies, University of Minnesota: 1997 - 1999
- Indigenous Language Initiative Program, Department of American Indian Studies and the Department of Maori Studies at the University of Auckland, New Zealand: 2003
- Prize Committee, American Society for Ethnohistory: 2002
- Prize Committee, American Society for Ethnohistory: 2000
- Editorial Board, American Indian Education Series, University of Nebraska Press: 2000
- Local Planning Committee Member, Keeping Our Faculties: Addressing the Recruitment and Retention of Faculty of Color, a conference at the University of Minnesota: 2002
- Member, Admissions and Awards Committee, Department of American Studies, Univeristy of Minnesota: 2001 - 2002
- Editorial Board, Native American Studies Series, Michigan State Univeristy Press: 1996
- Editorial Board, American Indian Lives Series, The University of Nebraska Press: 1998
- Member, American Studies Executive Committee, University of Minnesota: 1997 - 1998
- Member, Native American Council, The Eiteljorg Museum of Art, Indianapolis, Indiana:
- Executive Council, The Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul, MN: 1998
- Board of Directors, The Division of Indian Works, Minneapolis, MN: 1999
- Board of Directors, The Circle, the newspaper of the American Indian community of the Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN: 1998
- Train Time, an excerpt from Boarding School Seasons. Child, Brenda, 2001.
- Away From Home: American Indian Boarding School Experiences, 1879-2000. Child, Brenda, The Heard Museum, Phoenix, Arizona, 2000.
- Ojibwe Children and Boarding Schools, an excerpt from Boarding School Seasons. Child, Brenda, 2001.
- Boarding School Seasons: American Indian Families, 1900-1940.. Child, Brenda, University of Nebraska Press, 1998.
- The North American Indian Prose Award for Boarding School Seasons: American Indian Families, 1900-1940, 1998
- Ford Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program, 2000 - 2001
- Minnesota Book Award Nominee for History for Boarding School Seasons: American Indian Families, 1900-1940, 1999
- The President's Muticultural Research Award, University of Minnesota, 2002
- University of Minnesota Grant-in-Aid of Research, 1999 - 2000