Nathaniel E Helwig
Educational Background & Specialties
- PhD: Quantitative Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2013.
- MA: Psychology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2011.
- MS: Statistics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
- BS: Psychology & Mathematics, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, 2007.
- Helwig, NE (in press). Efficient estimation of variance components in nonparametric mixed-effects models with large samples. Statistics and Computing.
- Helwig, NE, & Ma, P. (in press). Smoothing spline ANOVA for super-large samples: Scalable computation via rounding parameters. Statistics and Its Interface.
- Helwig, NE, Gao, Y., Wang, S., & Ma, P. (in press). Analyzing spatiotemporal trends in social media data via smoothing spline analysis of variance. Spatial Statistics.
- Helwig, NE, & Ma, P. (2015). Fast and stable multiple smoothing parameter selection in smoothing spline analysis of variance models with large samples. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 24, 715-732.
- Helwig, NE, & Anderson, CJ. (2014). Review of Handbook of Advanced Multilevel Analysis by J. J. Hox & J. K. Roberts (Eds.). Psychometrika, 79, 175-177.
- Helwig, NE (2013). The special sign indeterminacy of the direct-fitting Parafac2 model: Some implications, cautions, and recommendations for Simultaneous Component Analysis. Psychometrika, 78, 725-739.
- Helwig, NE, & Hong, S (2013). A critique of Tensor Probabilistic Independent Component Analysis: Implications and recommendations for multi-subject fMRI data analysis. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 213, 263-273.
- Helwig, NE , Hong, S, & Bokhari, E (2013). Analyzing individual and group differences in multijoint multiwaveform gait data using the Parafac2 model. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 29, 62-82.
- Helwig, NE, Hong, S, & Polk, JD (2012). Parallel Factor Analysis of gait waveform data: A multimode extension of Principal Component Analysis. Human Movement Science, 31, 630-648.
- Helwig, NE, Hong, S, Hsiao-Wecksler, ET, & Polk, JD (2011). Methods to temporally align gait cycle data. Journal of Biomechanics, 44, 561-566.
- Distinguished Dissertation Award, American Psychological Association (Division 5), Spring 2014
- Student Paper Competition Winner, American Statistical Association (Statistical Computing Section), Spring 2013
- Nancy Hirschberg Award (for outstanding original research or scholarship), Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Spring 2013
- Woodrow Fellowship (for outstanding original research or scholarship), Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Spring 2011
- Outstanding Quantitative Psychology Doctoral Student, Department of Psychology, University of Illinois, Spring 2010
- Graduate Teaching Certificate, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois, Spring 2010
- Outstanding Teacher, Incomplete List of Teachers ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, Fall 2009 - Spring 2010