Christopher M Isett
Educational Background & Specialties
- The Political Economies of Post-War East Asia: Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, China
- The History of Global Capitalism
- Post-War Global Capitalism
- The Global Cold War
- Comparative Economic History
- Comparative History and Historical Sociology
- Agrarian History and Agricultural Change
- History and Debates on the Transition to Capitalism
- Late Imperial and Modern Chinese Economic, Social, Legal and Political History
- Hist 5934 - Comparative History and Social Theory
- History 3419: The History of Capitalism
- History 3478: East Asian Economies since 1930
Research & Professional Activities
- Historical Materialism Conference: Uncertainty, Contingency, and Late Development in Taiwan. , November 11, 2016
- Invited Speaker: “The Agrarian Origins of Modern Japan: Revisiting Thomas Smith" : London School of Economics , 2013
- Invited Speaker: "Nutrition and wellbeing in C18 China: Preliminary Results" : Academia Sinica, Ming-Qing Workshop , 2012
- Invited Speaker: "Labor and Migration in the Qing,": Sawyer Seminar Series on Gender Bias in the Past and Future of Asia, Stanford University , 2011
- Invited Speaker: Academia Sinica , 2009
- Invited Speaker: Stanford University , 2008
- Invited Speaker: Chicago University , 2006
- Invited Speaker: “China and the United States: The PRC’s Export Economy Today”: Minneapolis Community and Technical College, "Understanding China" speaker series , 2006
- Nutrition and well being in eighteenth-century China: Anthropometric study: ongoing
- Kinship, Women’s Labor, and China’s Economic Performance in the 17th-21st Centuries: Melissa Brown (PI), Chris Isett (Co-PI); NSF funded research project
- Making Capitalism: The Politics of Taiwan's Post-War Development:
- The Social History of Agriculture: From the Origins to the Present Crisis. Isett, Christopher, Stephen Miller, Rowman & Littlefield, Author, 2016. Image
- The Taiwanese Way: Isett, Christopher, Jacobin. Link
- State, Peasant, and Merchant on the Manchurian Frontier, 1644-1862. Isett, Christopher, Stanford University Press, Author, 2007.
- England's Divergence from China's Yangzi delta: Property Relations, Microeconomics, and Patterns of Economic Development. Isett, Christopher, Robert Brenner, Author, 2002.
- Village regulation of property claims and the social transformation of Qing Manchuria. Isett, Christopher, 2004.
- Sugar Manufacture and the Agrarian Economy of Nineteenth-Century Taiwan. Isett, Christopher, 1995.
- Uncertainty, Contingency, and Late Development in Taiwan: Isett, Christopher, Xavier LaFrance and Charles Post , Palgrave, Case Studies in the Origins of Capitalism, 2018.
- London School of Economics, Department of Economic History, Erasmus Mundus Fellowship of the EU, March 18 - March 29, 2013
- Visiting Scholar, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, August 15, 2011 - June 15, 2012
- Fulbright Scholar Award, August 15, 2011 - June 15, 2012
- Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange Grant for Professors, 09.01.10 - 08.31.13
- Faculty Residential Fellow, Institute of Advanced Study, University of Minnesota, January - May, 2005
- Faculty Fellow, University of Minnesota Humanities Institute, January - May 2005
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Fellowship, U.S. Department of Education, 1993 - 1994