Kevin P Murphy
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: United States History, New York University, 2001.
- M.A.: United States History, 1997.
- B.S.: International Affairs, Georgetown University, 1985.
- history of sexuality
- public history
- comparative history of women and gender
- United States history
- cultural and intellectual history
- urban history
- HSem 3060H - Politics of Manhood in U.S. History
- Hist 3001/AmSt 3003 - Public History
- Hist 5910 Gender, Sexuality, and Political Economy
Research & Professional Activities
- Steering Committee, Humanities Action Lab: 2014 - present
- Guantanamo Public Memory Project: 2012 - present
- Program Committee, Organization of American Historians: 2014 - 2015
- Editorial Collective Co-Chair: Radical History Review , 2006 - 2013
- Radical History Review Editorial Collective: 1996 - present
- Gender and History Editorial Collective: 2010 - present
- Committee on LGBT History:
- Queer Public History: A Genealogy:
- Celibate Perversions: Catholic Priests and the History of Sexuality in the United States:
- Sexuality and the Cities: Interdisciplinarity and Queer Public History: Murphy, Kevin, Jennifer Pierce, Alex Urquhart, Oxford University Press, Oxford Handbook on Public History, forthcoming, summer .
- Co-editor with Daniel Marshall and Zeb Tortorici. “Queering Archives: Historical Unravelings,” Radical History Review 120 (Fall 2014).
- Historicizing Gender and Sexuality. Murphy, Kevin, Jennifer Spear, Wiley-Blackwell, Co-Editor, 2011.
- "Homosexuality": Murphy, Kevin, Princeton University Press, Princeton Encyclopedia of US History, 2011.
- “Gay Was Good: Progress, Homonormativity, and Oral History,” chapter in Twin Cities GLBT History Project, Eds, Queer Twin Cities (University of Minnesota Press, 2010).
- Queer Twin Cities. Murphy, Kevin, University of Minnesota Press, Co-Editor, 2010.
- Political Manhood: Red Bloods, Mollycoddles, and the Politics of Progressive Era Reform. Murphy, Kevin, Columbia University Press, Author, 2008.
- Co-editor, with Jason Ruiz and David Serlin. Winter 2008. “Queer Futures: The Homonormativity Issue,” a special issue of Radical History Review 100.
- Murphy, Kevin P.. ""Citizens Made and Remade: Sexual Scandal, Manhood, and Self-Government Reform in the Progressive-era United States"." Representing Masculinity: Male Citizenship in Modern Western Culture (2007):
- Murphy, Kevin P.. Socrates in the Slums: Homoerotics, Gender, and Settlement House Reform. , 1998.
- "What Makes Queer Oral History Different": Murphy, Kevin, Jennifer Pierce, Jason Ruiz, Oxford University Press, Oral History Review, 43:2 1-24, 2016. Link
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, 2013
- Lambda Literary Award Finalist (LGBT Studies Category) for Political Manhood, 2009
- Social Science Research Council Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Sexuality Research for "Transatlantic Sex", 2005 - 2006
- Andrew P. Mellon Post-doctoral Fellowship, Center for the Humanities, Wesleyan University, 2001 - 2002
- Allan Nevins Prize, Best Written Dissertation in U.S. History, awarded by Society of American Historians, 2002
- New York University, Dean's Dissertation Prize: Best Dissertation in the Humanities, 2001