Katherine W Scheil
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: English, University of Toronto.
- M.A.: English, University of Toronto.
- B.A.: English and Music, Florida State University.
- early modern literature
- theatre history and performance studies
- archival study
- history of reading
- women's studies/feminist criticism/history of women
- 18th-century literature
- Global Shakespeare
- Women in Early Modern England
- Shakespeare's Comedies
- Gender and Genre in Renaissance Drama
- Shakespeare's Women
- Shakespeare and After
- Restoration/Eighteenth-Century Literature
- Writing Women's Lives
- Literary Landscape of Britain
- Imagining Shakespeare's Wife: The Afterlife of Anne Hathaway. Scheil, Katherine, Cambridge University Press, Author, 2018.
- Scheil, Katherine West. She Hath Been Reading: Women and Shakespeare Clubs in America. Cornell University Press, 2012. Link
- Co-edited with Randall Martin. Shakespeare/Adaptation/Modern Drama. University of Toronto Press, 2011. Link
- Scheil, Katherine West. The Taste of the Town: Shakespearian Comedy and the Early Eighteenth-Century Theatre.. Bucknell University Press, 2003. Link
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Hathaway Farm: Commemorating Warwickshire Will Between the Wars." Shakespeare Survey 71 (2018):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Adapting the Comedies." Oxford Handbook of Shakespearean Comedy (2017):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "New Places for Civic Shakespeare in America," New Places: Shakespeare and Civic Creativity, ed. Paul Edmondson and Ewan Fernie. 2017.
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Anne Hathaway and the Hathaways," in The Shakespeare Circle, ed. Paul Edmondson and Stanley Wells. Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Collaboration and the Geography of Shakespearean Biography." Journal of Early Modern Studies (2016):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Shakespeare and Nonfiction." The Shakespearean World (2016):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Commemorating the Anne Hathaway Cottage: Romantic Myth, Cultural Diplomacy, and Local Tourism," Shakespeare and Commemoration, ed. Clara Calvo and Coppelia Kahn. Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Between the Jubilees (1916): Shakespeare Clubs in America." Shakespeare Jubilees (2015):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "The Shakespeare Courtship in the Millennium." Critical Survey 25.1 (2013):
- Scheil, Katherine West. ""Shakespeare and Memoir" ." Shakespeare/Adaptation/Modern Drama: Essays in Honor of Jill L. Levenson (2011): Link
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Importing Stratford." Critical Survey 24 (2012):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Commemorating Shakespeare and Domestic Practices." Critical Survey (2010):
- Scheil, Katherine West. ""Filling in the 'Wife-Shaped Void': The Contemporary Afterlife of Anne Hathaway.“ ." Shakespeare Survey 63 (2010):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "Women Reading Shakespeare in the Outpost: Rural Reading Groups, Literary Culture, and Civic Life in America." Reading in History: New Methodologies from the Anglo-American Tradition (2010): 91-9.
- Scheil, Katherine West. ""The Second Best Bed and the Legacy of Anne Hathaway." Critical Survey 21.3 (2009):
- Scheil, Katherine West. Co-editor (with Graham Holderness), Critical Survey 21.3 (2009): special issue on “Shakespeare and the “˜Personal Story’“.
- Scheil, Katherine West. Contributor, The Shakespeare Encyclopedia, ed. Patricia Parker, entries on women critics and readers, eighteenth-century adapters, and “women reading Shakespeare“. Greenwood Press
- Scheil, Katherine West. " “Shakespeare’s Comedies and Women Readers"." Shakespeare’s Comedy of Love: A Festschrift for Alexander Leggatt (2009):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "“Public and Private Reading: Shakespeare and Women’s Reading Groups.“ ." Reader: Issues in Reader-Oriented Theory, Criticism, and Pedagogy (2006):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "“Rouz’d by a Woman’s Pen: The Shakespeare: Ladies’ Club and Reading Habits of Early Modern Women.“ ." Critical Survey 12 12 (2000):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "“Early Georgian Politics and Shakespeare: The Black Act and Charles Johnson’s Love in a Forest.“ ." Shakespeare Survey 51 (1998):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "“Sir William Davenant’s Use of Shakespeare in The Law Against Lovers (1662)." Philological Quarterly 76 (1997):
- Scheil, Katherine West. "“Sauny the Scott: or, the Taming of the Shrew: John Lacy and the Importance of Theatrical Context in the Restoration.“ ." Restoration: Studies in English Literary Culture 1660-1700 21 (1997):
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, 2017
- Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Minnesota, Faculty Fellowship, 2017 - 2018
- Scholar of the College, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2014 - 2017
- McKnight Research Award, University of Minnesota, 2007 - 2009