Theatre Arts and Dance
550E Rarig Center
330 21st Avenue South
What are the limits of performance as a mode of conflict transformation and social change? Over 25 years Professor Kuftinec has been exploring this question through research, teaching and practice.
Educational Background & Specialties
- PhD: Directing, History, Criticism, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1996.
- BA: Theater, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, 1988.
- performance and social change
- community-based theater
- theatrical facilitation: Middle East, Balkans
- 19th and 20th century American theatre
- history and literature
- performance studies
- Balkan theater
- Cornerstone Theater
- theater in education
- TH 1910W Attending Live Theater Freshman Seminar
- Th 1101V - Honors Section: Introduction to the Theatre
- Th 1101W - Introduction to the Theatre
- Th 5117 - Performance and Social Change
- TH 5183 - Critical Literacy, Storytelling, and Creative Drama
- Th 8112 - Medieval and Renaissance Theater
- Th 8116 - History and Theory of Western Theatre: 20th Century From 1945 to the Present
Research & Professional Activities
- Speaker Gendered Violence conference: Invited by Princeton University as panelists , April 1, 2016 - April 2, 2016
- Imagining America Board member: consult with national consortium and develop networked policies and conference , September 2011 - April 2017
- Vice President Conferences : Organized 2014 Association for Theatre in Higher Education conference , September 2012 - August 2014
- Co-organizer American Society for Theatre Research Conference, 2009: Nov. 2008 - Nov. 2009
- Guest Editor Text and Performance Quarterly, Fall 2009: Jun. 2007 - Jun. 2009
- Chair Pedagogy and Theatre of the Oppressed international conference 2007: Jun. 2006 - Jun. 2007
- Performance Review Editor Theater Journal: select and edit theater reviews for major academic journal , September 2004 - December 2007
- Member, Center for Austrian Studies Board, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 2003 - 2004
- Member, Center for Advanced Feminist Studies Advisory Board, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 2001 - 2003
- Member, Performance Studies International:
- Member, Association of Theater in Higher Education:
- Member, American Society of Theatre Research:
- Faculty Writing Consultant: work with writing center to consult with faculty about writing intensive courses , Sept. 2003 - May 2005
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Theatre Arts and Dance, University of Minnesota: Sept. 2004
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival: multi-year study of community-infused institutional practices at major regional theater, October 2010 - August 2016
- Theater in Education : Working with Children's Theatre Company to teach arts literacy techniques to K-12 teachers , Summer 2010 - present
- Theatre, Facilitation and Nation Formation:Reimagining Theater in the Balkans and Middle East: Book contracted with Palgrave Press, 2005 - 2009
- Space & Place: research group sponsored by Institute for Global Studies and Institute for Advanced Studies, Sept. 1998 - June 2009
- The Falls: Critical study of Cornerstone Theater's collaboration with the Guthrie and six neighborhood communities., April 2005 - September 2006
- Image Theater and the Conflict Transformation: Working with S. Asian, Balkan, and Middle East youth affiliated with Seeds of Peace to facilitate dialogue through theater, research leave through Department of Theatre Arts and Dance, February 2004 - August 2004
- Arts and Reconciliation in Israel/Palestine: scholarly symposium with visitors from Middle East accompanied by original production developed with University of Minnesota students and installations guided by Art Professor Diane Katsiaficas, Sept. 2002 - February 2003
- Critical Arts Literacy: Network of K-12 teachers, teaching artists, and theater students investigating arts and education, November 2005 - ongoing
- Pedagogy and Theatre of the Oppressed: coordinating national conference, June 2006 - June 2007
- Staging America: Cornerstone and Community-Based Theater: Book exploring relationship between theater, community and American identity with focus on community-based Cornerstone Theater (Honorable mention for 2003 Barnard Hewitt Award), June 2000 - Spring 2003
- Theater of the Oppressed workshop: Leading workshop for Macalester International Students conference, Oct. 22, 2015 - Oct. 22, 2015
- Irrigate Artist: Designed storytelling workshop with homeless shelter, September 2013 - October 2013
- Intermedia Artist: Part of group investigating place-based leadership, January 2013 - June 2013
- Neighborhood Bridges Board Member: Work with elementary students on developing critical literacy, June 2006 - June 2009
- There is a Field: Invited lecture for Hillel Center, January 2003
- Syllabus Workshop Leader, Penumbra Theater: led workshop on creating syllabae for Penumbra Institute teachers, May 2003
- New Play Respondent, Jungle Theater: respondent to new plays by Native American artists, April 2002
- Consultant: provided background information on Balkans for cast of Small Tragedy, a play about Bosnia premiering at the Playwright's Center, May 2003
- Civic Conversations: guest on BAT cable channel, April 2003 - May 2003
- Documentnation: Ensemble developed piece guided by Tim Miller and performed on Washington DC Mall as part of Association for Theatre in Higher Education conference. Washington DC, August, March 2012 - August 2012
- The Prose and Cons of Hitchhiking : performer devised script, March 2012 - June 2012
- Scars, Shit, Sex, and Politics : Ensemble developed piece guided by Tim Miller , January 2012 - January 2012
- There is a Field : directed Staged Reading at Heart of the Beast Theatre, August 2010 - October 2010
- "We Come From . . . ": original performance with students at BYU, Oct. 29, 2007 - Nov. 2, 2007
- Excerpts from Long Bridge Over Deep Waters : staged reading, Dec. 1, 2006 - Dec. 5, 2006
- International Image Theater: workshop, Feb. 2004 - Jun. 2004
- There is a Field: Original performance exploring the middle east with University students: Sept. 2002 - February 2003
- Between the Lines: Alleys of Balkan Identity: invited to create original performance developed with youth from seven Balkan countries, performed at the House of World Cultures in Berlin, Germany, Sept. 25, 2001 - Oct. 17, 2001
- Mesta/Places: invited workshop and original performance in Belgrade, Serbia, August 15, 2000 - August 20, 2000
- Theatre, Facilitation, and Nation Formation in the Balkans and Middle East. Kuftinec, Sonja, Palgrave Macmillan, Author, 2009.
- Staging America: Cornerstone and Community-Based Theater. Kuftinec, Sonja, Southern Illinois University Press, 2003.
- “When Failure Means Success: Music, movement, ritual and facilitation with Middle East youth and UCLA students”: Kuftinec, Sonja, John Wesley Days, Performance Research, 17.1 On Failure 88-96, 2012.
- “Rehearsing for Dramatic Change in Afghanistan”: Kuftinec, Sonja, Eds Toby Emert and Ellie Friedland, Peter Lang, Come Closer: Critical Conversations about the Practice of Theatre of the Oppressed, 109-116, 2011.
- “Viewpoints on Israeli-Palestinian Theatrical Encounters”: Kuftinec, Sonja, Eds Peter Duffy and Elinor Vetrraino, Palgrave, Youth and Theatre of the Oppressed, 83-96, 2010.
- Violent Reformations: Image Theater with Youth in Conflict Regions: Kuftinec, Sonja, eds Jisha Menon and Patrick Anderson, Palgrave Macmillan, Violence Performed, 223-43, 2009.
- “Gay Muslims and Salty Meat Pies: The Limits of Performing Community,“: Kuftinec, Sonja, eds Avi Oz and Susan Haedicke, Rodopi Press, Political Performances, 2009.
- [How] Does Activist Performance Work?“: Kuftinec, Sonja, Community Arts Network, 2008. Link
- “Prose and Cons: Prison Theater in Ma’asiyahu, Israel,“: Kuftinec, Sonja, Chen Alon, Research in Drama Education , 12:3 275-291, 2007.
- “Methodologies of Performance Research in the Balkans and Jerusalem/Al Quds“. Kuftinec, Sonja, Assaph, 2007.
- 'Go Have Your Life!' Self and Community in Peter Schumann's Bread and Puppet Theater. Kuftinec, Sonja, Editors James Harding and Cindy Rosenthal, 2003.
- Bridging Balkan Rapis. Kuftinec, Sonja, Author, 2002. Link
- Critical Relations in Community-Based Performance: The Artist and Writer in Conversation: Kuftinec, Sonja, Report for Animating Democracy Initiative, , 2002. Link
- A Cornerstone for Rethinking Community Theater. Kuftinec, Sonja, 1996.
- “Eyes Wide Open: The Potentials (and Pitfalls) of Partnership.”: Kuftinec, Sonja, HowlRound, Summer 2015 . Link
- University of Arizona Borderlands Scholar, March 2014 - April 2014
- Scholar of the College, July 2009 - July 2012
- Barnard Hewitt Award (honorable mention), 2003
- Institute for Advanced Study Research grant for project on Sovereignty and Statehood , Jun. 2008 - Jun. 2009
- Scholarly Events Fund towards Pedagogy and Theatre of the Oppressed Conference, Oct. 2008 - June 2009
- Fulton Lecturer at Brigham Young University, Oct. 2007 - Nov. 2007
- American Society of Theatre Research award for study in Israel/Palestine, June 2004 - June 2005
- Seeds of Peace honorarium for facilitation work with Middle East Youth, July 2002
- Grant in Aid Award for completion of Staging America, May 2001 - March 2002
- Centennial Teaching Award, Stanford University, 1995
- Finalist Morse Alumni Undergraduate Education Award, 2006 - 2006