James J Lee
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Psychology, Harvard University, 2011.
- B.A.: English, University of California Berkeley, 2000.
- Psychology 1001: Introduction to Psychology
- Psychology 3135/5135: Individual Differences
- Psychology 5993: Research Laboratory
- Psychology 8960: Individual Differences in Higher-Level Cognition
- Lee JJ, McGue M, Iacono WG, Michael AM, Chabris CF (in press). The causal influence of brain size on human intelligence: Evidence from within-family phenotypic associations and GWAS modeling. Intelligence, x, xx.
- Kim Y, Lee JJ (2019). The genetics of human fertility. Current Opinion in Psychology, 27, 41-45.
- Willoughby EA, Love AC, McGue M, Iacono WG, Quigley J, Lee JJ (2019). Free will, determinism, and intuitive judgments about the heritability of behavior. Behavior Genetics, 49, 136-153.
- Baselmans BML et al. (2019). Multivariate genome-wide analyses of the well-being spectrum. Nature Genetics, 51, 445-451.
- Linner RK et al. (2019). Genome-wide association analyses of risk tolerance and risky behaviors in over 1 million individuals identify hundreds of loci and shared genetic influences. Nature Genetics, 51, 245-257.
- Liu M, Jiang Y, Wedow R, Li Y, et al. (2019). Association studies of up to 1.2 million individuals yield new insights into the genetic etiology of tobacco and alcohol use. Nature Genetics, 51, 237-244.
- Lee JJ, McGue M, Iacono WG, Chow CC (2018). The accuracy of LD Score regression as an estimator of confounding and genetic correlations in genome-wide association studies. Genetic Epidemiology, 42, 783-795.
- Tielbeek JJ, Barnes JC, Popma A, Polderman TJC, Lee JJ, Perry JB, Posthuma D, Boutwell BB (2018). Exploring the genetic correlations of antisocial behavior and life history traits. British Journal of Psychiatry Open, 4, 467-470.
- Lee JJ, Wedow R, Okbay A, et al. (2018). Gene discovery and polygenic prediction from a genome-wide association study of educational attainment in 1.1 million individuals. Nature Genetics, 50, 1112-1121.
- Turley P, Walters RK, Maghzian O, Okbay A, Lee JJ, Fontana MA, et al. (2018). Multi-trait analysis of genome-wide association summary statistics using MTAG. Nature Genetics, 50, 229-237.
- Lee JJ, Chabris CF (2017). Genomic data can illuminate the architecture and evolution of cognitive abilities. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 40, e209.
- Sniekers S, Stringer S, Watanabe K, Jansen PR, Coleman J, Kraphol E, et al. (2017). Genome-wide association meta-analysis of 78,308 individuals identifies new loci and genes influencing human intelligence. Nature Genetics, 49, 1107-1112.
- Selzam S, Kraphol E, von Stumm S, O'Reilly PF, Rimfield K, Kovas Y, Dale PS, Lee JJ, Plomin R (2017). Predicting educational achievement from DNA. Molecular Psychiatry, 22, 267-272.
- Barban N, Jansen R, de Vlaming R, Vaez A, Mandemakers JJ, Tropf FC, et al. (2016). Genome-wide analysis identifies 12 loci influencing human reproductive behavior. Nature Genetics, 48, 1462-1472.
- Marioni RE, Ritchie SJ, Joshi PK, Hagenaars SP, Okbay A, Fischer K, et al. (2016). Genetic variants linked to education predict longevity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 113, 13366-13371.
- Okbay A et al. (2016). Genetic variants associated with subjective well-being, depressive symptoms and neuroticism identified through genome-wide analyses. Nature Genetics, 48, 624-630.
- Okbay A, Beauchamp JP, Fontana MA, Lee JJ, Pers TH, Rietveld CA, et al. (2016). Genome-wide association study identifies 74 loci associated with educational attainment. Nature, 533, 539-542.
- Lee JJ, McGue M (2016). Why behavioral genetics matters. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 11, 29-30.
- Lee JJ, Vattikuti S, Chow CC (2016). Uncovering the genetic architectures of quantitative traits. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal, 14, 28-34.
- Lee MK, Lee JJ, Wells CS, Sireci SG (2016). A unified factor-analytic approach to the detection of item and test bias. Tutorials in Quantitative Methods for Psychology, 12, 9-29.
- Lee JJ, Lee MK (2016). An overview of the Normal Ogive Harmonic Analysis Robust Method (NOHARM) approach to item response theory. Tutorials in Quantitative Methods for Psychology, 12, 1-8.
- Lee JJ, Kuncel NR (2015). The determinacy and predictive power of common factors. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 8, 467-472.
- Chabris CF, Lee JJ, Cesarini D, Benjamin DJ, Laibson DI (2015). The fourth law of behavior genetics. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 24, 304-312.
- Chang CC, Chow CC, Tellier LCAM, Vattikuti S, Purcell SM, Lee JJ (2015). Second-generation PLINK: Rising to the challenge of larger and richer datasets. GigaScience, 4, 7.
- Rietveld CA et al. (2014). Common genetic variants associated with cognitive performance identified using the proxy-phenotype method. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 111, 13790-13794.
- Lee JJ, Chow CC (2014). Conditions for the validity of SNP-based heritability estimation. Human Genetics, 133, 1011-1022.
- Vattikuti S, Lee JJ, Chang CC, Hsu SDH, Chow CC (2014). Applying compressed sensing to genome-wide association studies. GigaScience, 3, 10.
- Chabris CF, Lee JJ, Benjamin DJ, Beauchamp JP, Glaeser EL, Borst G, Pinker S, Laibson D (2013). Why it is hard to find genes that are associated with social science traits. American Journal of Public Health, 103, S152-S166.
- Lee JJ, Chabris CF (2013). General cognitive ability and the psychological refractory period: Individual differences in the mind's bottleneck. Psychological Science, 24, 1226-1233.
- Lee JJ, Chow CC (2013). The causal meaning of Fisher's average effect. Genetics Research, 95, 89-109.
- Lee JJ (2012). Common factors and causal networks. European Journal of Personality, 26, 441-442.
- Lee JJ (2012). Correlation and causation in the study of personality (with discussion). European Journal of Personality, 26, 372-412.