Jeylan T Mortimer
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1972.
- M.A: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1967.
- B.A.: Jackson College, Tufts University,, Medford, Massachusetts, 1965..
- The Life Course
- Social Psychology
- Soc 3721 - Sociology Psychology
- Soc 4090/5090 - Topics in Sociology: Adolescence and the Transition to Adulthood
- Soc 4246 - Sociology of Health and Illness
- Soc 4511 - Sociology of Youth: Transition to Adulthood
- Soc 4966W - Major Project Seminar
- Soc 4978V - Senior Honors Preseminar II
- Soc 8001 - Sociology as a Profession
- Soc 8551 - Social Structure and the Life Course
- Soc 8721 - Theories of Social Psychology
- Soc 8721 - Social Psychology
Research & Professional Activities
- The three generational “Youth Development Study” examines life course pathways and intergenerational dynamics
- "The Changing Social Construction of Age and the Life Course: Precarious Identity and Enactment of ‘Early’ and “Encore’ Stages of Adulthood." 2016. P. Moen, M. J. Shanahan, J.T. Mortimer & M.K. Johnson (eds). Handbook of the Life Course Vol. 2. New York: Springer.
- “The Transition to Adulthood: Life Course Structures and Subjective Perceptions." 2015. S.R. Eliason & M. Vuolo. Social Psychology Quarterly 1-23.
- "Reinforcement or Compensation? The Effects of Parents’ Work and Financial Conditions on Adolescents’ Work Values during the Great Recession." 2015. M. K. Johnson. Journal of Vocational Behavior 87:89-100.
- "Adolescent Precursors of Pathways from School to Work." 2014. M.J. Vuolo & J. Staff. Journal of Research on Adolescence 24: 145-162.
- "Parental Economic Hardship and Children’s Achievement Orientations." 2014. L. Zhang, J. Hussemann, & C-Y Wu. Longitudinal and Life Course Studies 5:105-128.
- "Explaining the Motherhood Wage Penalty During the Early Occupational Career." 2012. J. Staff. Demography 49:1-21.
- "The Evolution, Contributions, and Prospects of the Youth Development Study: An Investigation in Life Course Social Psychology." 2012. Social Psychology Quarterly 75: 5-27.
- "Work Values, Early Career Difficulties, and the U.S. Economic Recession." 2012. M.K. Johnson & R. Sage. Social Psychology Quarterly 75:242-267.
- ASA Cooley-Mead Award, 2011
- Dean's Medal, 2004
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1997
- National Institute of Health Award