Jeylan T Mortimer
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1972.
- M.A: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1967.
- B.A.: Jackson College, Tufts University,, Medford, Massachusetts, 1965..
- Life Course, Inequality, and Health
- Social Psychology
- Transition to Adulthood
- Intergenerational Transmission
- Soc 3721 - Sociology Psychology
- Soc 4090/5090 - Topics in Sociology: Adolescence and the Transition to Adulthood
- Soc 4246 - Sociology of Health and Illness
- Soc 4511 - Sociology of Youth: Transition to Adulthood
- Soc 4966W - Major Project Seminar
- Soc 4978V - Senior Honors Preseminar II
- Soc 8001 - Sociology as a Profession
- Soc 8551 - Social Structure and the Life Course
- Soc 8721 - Theories of Social Psychology
- Soc 8721 - Social Psychology
Research & Professional Activities
- The three generational “Youth Development Study” examines life course pathways and intergenerational dynamics
- "Economic Recession and Youth Achievement Orientations and Behavior,” with Monica K. Johnson and Arnaldo Mont’Alvao. 2017. Pp. 321-347 in Young People’s Development and the Great Recession: Uncertain Transitions and Precarious Futures. Edited by Ingrid Schoon and John Bynner. UK: Cambridge University Press.
- "Familial Transmission of Educational Plans and the Academic Self-Concept: A Three Generation Longitudinal Study," with Lei Zhang, Chen-Yu Wu, Jeanette Hussemann, and Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson. 2017. Social Psychology Quarterly 80(1):85-107.
- "Parental Assistance, Negative Life Events, and Attainment during the Transition to Adulthood," with Teresa T. Swartz and Heather McLaughlin. 2017. The Sociological Quarterly 58(1):91-110.
- "Youth and the Great Recession: Are Values, Achievement Orientation and Outlook to the Future Affected?" with Ingrid Schoon. 2017. International Journal of Psychology 52(1):1-8.
- "The Value of Educational Degrees in Turbulent Economic Times: Evidence from the Youth Development Study?" with Mike Vuolo and Jeremy Staff. 2016. Social Science Research 57:233-252.
- "Exploring the Correlates of Parental Consent for Children’s Participation in Surveys. An Intergenerational Longitudinal Study," with Jeanette Hussemann and Lei Zhang. 2016. Public Opinion Quarterly 80(3):642-665.
- “Life Course Studies: Trends, Challenges, and Future Directions," with Michael J. Shanahan and Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson. 2016. Pp. 1-23 in Handbook of the Life Course, Vol.2. Edited by Michael J. Shanahan, Jeylan T. Mortimer, and Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson. NY: Springer.
- "The Changing Social Construction of Age and the Life Course: Precarious Identity and Enactment of ‘Early’ and ‘Encore’ Stages of Adulthood," with Phyllis Moen. 2016. Pp. 111-129 in Handbook of the Life Course, Vol.2. Edited by Michael J. Shanahan, Jeylan T. Mortimer, and Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson. NY: Springer.
- "The Transition to Adulthood: Life Course Structures and Subjective Perceptions," with Scott R. Eliason and Mike Vuolo. 2015. Social Psychology Quarterly 78(3):205-227.
- "Reinforcement or Compensation? The Effects of Parents’ Work and Financial Conditions on Adolescents’ Work Values during the Great Recession," with Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson. 2015. Journal of Vocational Behavior 87:89-100.
- "Adolescent Precursors of Pathways from School to Work," with Mike Vuolo and Jeremy Staff. 2014. Journal of Research on Adolescence 24(1):145-162.
- "Parental Economic Hardship and Children’s Achievement Orientations," with Lei Zhang, Jeanette Hussemann, and Chen-Yu Wu. 2012. Longitudinal and Life Course Studies 5(2):105-128.
- "Explaining the Motherhood Wage Penalty During the Early Occupational Career," with Jeremy Staff. 2012. Demography 49(1):1-21.
- "The Evolution, Contributions, and Prospects of the Youth Development Study: An Investigation in Life Course Social Psychology." 2012. Social Psychology Quarterly 75(1):5-27.
- "Trajectories of Mother-Child Relationships Across the Life Course: Links with Adult Well-Being,” with Jennifer L. Doty. 2018. Pp. 391-413 in Social Networks and the Life Course. Frontiers in Sociology and Social Research, Vol. 2. Edited by Duane Alwin, Diane Felmlee, and Derek Kreager. Switzerland: Springer.
- "Work Values, Early Career Difficulties, and the U.S. Economic Recession," with Monica Kirkpatrick Johnson and Rayna A. Sage. 2012. Social Psychology Quarterly 75(3):242-267.
- ASA Cooley-Mead Award, 2011
- Dean's Medal, 2004
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1997
- National Institute of Health Award