Jennifer L Pierce
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, 1991.
- M.A.: Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, none.
- B.A.: Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, none.
- workplace and labor studies
- feminist theory
- race relations
- affirmative action
- social theory
- sociology of emotions
- research using personal narratives
- AmSt 1902 - In Pursuit of Fairness: The History of Affirmative Action in 20th Century America
- HSEM 2005 - Chasing the American Dream
- AmSt 3114 - America in International Perspective
- AmSt 4301 - Workers and Consumers in the Global Economy
- AmSt 8202 - Theoretical Foundations in American Studies
- AmSt 8401 - Practicum in American Studies
- AMST 8920 - Personal Narratives in Interdisciplinary Research
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair, Program Committee, American Studies Association: 2014 - 2015
- Member: American Sociological Association Distinguished Book Award Committee , 2011 - present
- Editorial Board Member: Contemporary Sociology, American Sociological Association , 2009 - present
- Chair, Sex and Gender Section: American Sociological Association , 2006 - 2007
- Chair: Lora Romero Book Award Committee, American Studies Association , 2005 - 2006
- Faculty Chair, Committee on the Press for the University of Minnesota Press: 2003 - 2006
- Chair, Max Weber Distinguished Book Award Committee: American Sociological Association, Organizations, Occupations, and Work Section , 2004
- Director, Center for Advanced Feminist Studies, University of Minnesota: 2002 - 2004
- Member, Distinguished Lectureship Selection Committee, Sociologists for Women in Society: 2002 - 2004
- Member, Distinguished Book Award Selection Committee, American Sociological Association, Sex and Gender Section: 2002
- Chair, Distinguished Article Award Selection Committee, American Sociological Association, Sex and Gender Section: 2001
- Austerity and Public Research Universities:
- Racing for Innocence: Whiteness, Gender, and the Backlash Against Affirmative Action. Pierce, Jennifer, Author, 2012. Link
- Queer Twin Cities. Pierce, Jennifer, Twin Cities GLBT Oral History Project, Co-Author, 2010.
- Telling Stories: The Use of Personal Narratives in the Social Sciences and History. Pierce, Jennifer, M.J. Maynes and third author Barbara Laslett, Cornell University Press, Co-Author, 2008.
- Feminist Waves, Feminist Generations: Life Stories from the Academy. Pierce, Jennifer, Hokulani Aikau and Karla Erickson, University of Minnesota Press, Co-Author, 2007.
- Is Academic Feminism Dead? Theory in Practice. Pierce, Jennifer, Rose Brewer, Mary Lou Fellows, Shirley Garner, Amy Kaminsky, and Naomi Schemen, New York University Press, 2000.
- Gender Trials: Emotional Lives in Contemporary Law Firms. Pierce, Jennifer, University of Californial Press, 1995.
- Frenzel Chair, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2014 - 2017
- Distinguished Teaching Award for Graduate, Professional and Post-Baccalaureate Education, 2012
- Sabbatical Supplement, College of LIberal Arts, "Working in the Ivory Basement: Clerical Workers, the Women's Movement, and the New Economy, 2012 - 2013
- Rockefeller Bellagio Center Residential Fellowship, Bellagio, Italy, , April 2006 - May 2006
- Humanities Institute Faculty Fellowship, University of Minnesota. “Feminist Generations,“, January 2004 - May 2004
- Law School Admissions Council Grant, “Racial Climates in Law Schools“ with Wendy Leo Moore., May 2003 - June 2004
- Visiting Scholar, Department of Sociology, University of California, Berkeley, 1998 - 1999
- American Sociological Association Disseration Award, Sex and Gender Section, 1991