Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D: History, Trinity College, Cambridge, UK, 1992.
- M.A.: Medieval Indian History, Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara, 1988.
- 19th and 20th Century Hinduism
- 19th and 20th caste politics
- postcolonial studies/theory
- intellectual history
- democracies and minorities
- 19th and 20th c adivasi religious movements
- Skaria, Ajay (2016, in press). Unconditional Equality: Gandhi's Religion of Resistance. University of Mnnesota Press.
- Skaria, Ajay (2015). "Remembering Chris Bayly". Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. L, no. 21 (May 23), Link
- Skaria, Ajay (2015). "Ambedkar, Marx and the Buddhist Question". ,South Asia, Vol. 38, no. 3, September, Link
- Skaria, Ajay (2014). "Questions of Hurt: On the Wendy Doniger Controversy". Economic and Political Weekly, , Vol - XLIX No. 40, October 04, Link
- Skaria, Ajay (2014 ). "'Can the Dalit articulate a universal position?': the intellectual, the social, and the writing of history". Social History, , Vol. 30, Issue 3, Link
- Skaria, Ajay (2014). "Gandhi's Radical Conservatism". Seminar, 662 (October) , Download
- Skaria, Ajay (2011). Relinquishing Republican Democracy: Gandhi’s Ramarajya’ . Postcolonial Studies, Vol. 14, No. 2, 203-229. Download
- Skaria, Ajay (2010). “˜The strange violence of satyagraha: Gandhi, Itihaas, and History’, in Manu Bhagavan (ed.). Heterotopias: Nationalism and the Possibility of History in South Asia, , Download
- Skaria, Ajay (2010). Living by Dying’, in Anand Pandian and Daud Ali (eds.), . Genealogies of Virtue: Ethical Practice in South Asia,, Download
- Skaria, Ajay (2009). “˜The project of provincializing Europe: Reading Dipesh Chakrabarty’. Economic and Political Weekly, , Vol. 44, No. 14., Download
- Skaria, Ajay (2009). ““˜No politics without religion:’ of secularism and Gandhi“, in Vinay Lal (ed.),. Political Hinduism: The religious imagination in public spheres, Download
- “˜Only one word, properly altered: Gandhi and the question of the prostitute, Economic and Poltiical Weekly, December 10, 2006; Reprinted (2007) in Postcolonial Studies, Vol. 10, No. 2; Reprint (2007) in Debjani Ganguly and John Docker (eds.) Rethinking Gandhi and Nonviolent Relationality:Global Perspectives, London: Routledge, New Delhi: Orient Longman; Reprinted (2011) in Ghanshyam Shah (ed.), Rereading Hind Swaraj: Modernity and the Subalterns, New Delhi: Routledge. Download
- Shail Mayaram, M.S.S. Pandian, Ajay Skaria (eds.) (2005). Subaltern Studies, Vol. XII. Delhi: Permanent Black.
- Skaria, Ajay (2002) `Gandhi’s politics: liberalism and the question of the ashram, South Atlantic Quarterly, 101:4, Fall 2002; Reprint (2009) in Saurabh Dube (ed.) Enchantments of Modernity, Routledge, Dehi, London; Reprint (2011) in M.T. Ansari and Deeptha Achar (eds.), Discourse, Democracy and Difference - Perspectives on Community Politics and Culture, Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi; Download
- Skaria, Ajay (1998). Hybrid Histories: Forests, Frontiers and Wildness in Western India. Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Skaria, Ajay (1996). Writing, orality and power in the Dangs, Western India, 1800s-1920s,“ in Dipesh Chakrabarty and Shahid Amin (eds.),. Subaltern Studies, Vol. IX,