Charles J Sugnet
Educational Background & Specialties
- postcolonial literature
- fiction and film of the African diaspora
- creative nonfiction writing
- the contemporary novel
- multi-cultural instruction in the high schools
- Workshop on Creative Nonfiction Writing
- Teachers Institute Seminar: International Studies in Literature and Film
- Survey of African Film
- EngL 3242H - Honors Seminar: Twentieth-Century Rewritings of Shakespeare
- EngL 1595 - Introduction to "Third World" Literature in English
- EngL 5920 - Literature of Zimbabwe and South Africa
- EngL 5950 - Saro-Wiwa
- West Africa: Fiction, Film, and Theory
- EngW 5210 - Topics in Advanced Literary Nonfiction
- "African Film." : Sugnet, Charles, Greenwood Press, Encyclopedia of World Popular Culture: Sub-Saharan Africa, 2007.
- “Real-time Africa: A traveling exhibit gives the lie to “˜primitive’ Africa.“: Sugnet, Charles, Review of largest ever exhibition of African contemporary art at Hayward in London, Pompidou in France, etc. Utne Reader, March/April 2006.
- “Wolof Orality, Senghorian Literacy, and the Status of Cinema in Djibril Diop Mambety’s La Petite Vendeuse de Soleil: Sugnet, Charles, The French Review, 79.6 , 2006.
- "Francois Xavier-Verschave: A French Noam Chomsky?": Sugnet, Charles, West Africa Research Association Newsletter, 2003.
- Against Normalization:Writing Radical Democracy in South Africa: Sugnet, Charles, review of; Africa Today, 50.2 , 2003.
- “Nuruddin Farah’s Maps: Deterritorialization and “˜the Postmodern.’“: Sugnet, Charles, Africa World Press, World Literature Today; Reprinted in Emerging Perspectives on Nuruddin Farah. , 1998; 2002.
- Subject to Colonialism: African Self-Fashioning and the Colonial Library: Sugnet, Charles, Africa Today, 49.1 , 2002.
- “Dakar Noir.“ [Translation from Les tambours de la memoire by Senegalese novelist Boubacar Boris Diop]: Sugnet, Charles, Transition, 87 , 2001.
- Things Fall Apart: Problems of Constructing an Alternative Ethnography. Sugnet, Charles, Eagle on Iroko: Selected Papers from the Chinua Achebe International Symposium 1990, Heinnemann Educational Books, Author, 1996.
- The Imagination on Trial: A Study of the Working Methods of Eleven Contemporary British and American Novelists. Sugnet, Charles, Alan Burns, Allison & Busby, Author, 1981.
- College of Liberal Arts Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1998
- Horace T. Morse-University Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education, 1995
- Loft Creative Nonfiction Writing Award, 1988