Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2016.
- M.S.: Applied Statistics, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2014.
- M.A.: Sociology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2011.
- B.A.: Comparative Sociology/English Literature, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA, 2007.
- Stratification and Inequality
- Comparative and Historical Sociology
- Quantitative Methodology
- Sociology of Development
Research & Professional Activities
- Spatial Inequality in Local Labor Markets: An investigation of how inequalities across places in the U.S. have evolved over the past eight decades, with special focus on long-run historical changes.
- Institutions, Policy, and Culture: An examination of how policy changes and union decline have affected a variety of dimensions of economic wellbeing, including economic inequality, economic volatility, and working poverty.
- Between-Country Inequalities, Health, and the Environment: An examination of how behaviors and attitudes towards health and the natural environment vary across countries in response to economic development.
- "The Right to Work, Power Resources, and Economic Inequality." Forthcoming 2020. American Journal of Sociology. DOI 10.31235/osf.io/7qb56
- "The Geography of Economic Polarization, 1950-2015," with Katherine Copas. 2019. Russell Sage Foundation Journal for the Social Sciences 5(4):77-103.
- "The (Economic) Development of Healthy Eating Habits: Gender, Nutrition, and Health Outcomes in 31 Countries," with Jane VanHeuvelen. 2019. Sociology of Development 5(1):91-113.
- "Within-Group Earnings Inequality in Cross-National Perspective." 2018. European Sociological Review 34(3):286-303.
- "Moral Economies or Hidden Talents? A Longitudinal Analysis of Union Decline and Wage Inequality, 1973-2015." 2018. Social Forces 97(2):495-530.
- "Recovering the Missing Middle: A Mesocomparative Analysis of Within-Group Inequality, 1970-2011." 2018. American Journal of Sociology 123(4):1064-1116.