Eva von Dassow
Classics & Near Eastern Studies .
150D Nicholson Hall
216 Pillsbury Dr SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D: Bible and Ancient Near East, New York University, 1997.
- M.A.: Bible and Ancient Near East, New York University, 1991.
- M.A.: Classics, University of Washington, 1982.
- B.A.: Classics, University of Washington, 1981.
- History of the ancient Near East
- Hurrian language and literature
- Syro-Mesopotamian society and politics
- Akka 5011 - Elementary Akkadian I
- Akka 5012 - Elementary Akkadian II
- ANE/Hist 4051 - Ancient Near East & Egypt: Neolithic to 1500 BCE
- ANE/Hist 4052 - Ancient Near East: 1500-323 BCE
- Hebr 3201 -- Readings in Biblical Hebrew 1
- CNES 1001 -- World of the Bible
- CNES 3042, Literature of the Ancient Near East
- CNES/Hist 3502 -- Ancient Israel: From Conquest to Exile
- CNES/Hist 5051 -- Before Herodotus: History and Historiography of Mesopotamia
- CNES 5713 -- Introduction to Ugaritic
- Hist 3051 -- Ancient Civilizations: Near East and Egypt
- HSem 3017W: Writing and Reading in the Ancient World
- HSem 3018: State Formation in the Middle East Ancient and Modern
Research & Professional Activities
- Social and political history of the Near East in the Late Bronze Age: reconstructing the development of social classes during the Late Bronze Age on the basis of primary source material found at Near Eastern sites, Spring 2002 - Fall 2005
- Encoding Canaanite in cuneiform: investigating the representation of Canaanite language(s) in cuneiform script during the Late Bronze Age, Fall 2002 - Fall 2004
- Freedom, Rights, and Governance in the Ancient Near East: An inquiry into the conceptualization of freedom, structures of governance, and rights in the societies of the ancient Near East, from the late 3rd to the mid-1st millennium BCE., Fall 2007 - present
- Toward a New History of the Ancient Near East: Preparing a new edition of Amélie Kuhrt, The Ancient Near East, c. 3000-330 BC, 2015 - 2022
- Mesopotamia in Minnesota: exhibition, catalogue, and web sites presenting cuneiform collections in Minnesota, Spring 2001 - Fall 2003
- Embodying Gilgamesh: New Physical Language for Staging Epic Texts: Dramaturge on collaborative project resulting in a new play based on the Epic of Gilgamesh, directed by Lisa Channer, Fall 2009 - Fall 2010
- On Writing the History of Southern Mesopotamia: von Dassow, Eva, Zeitschrift fí¼r Assyriologie, 89 227-246, 1999.
- Cuneiform Texts in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, vol III: Private Archive Texts from the First Millennium BC. von Dassow, Eva, Ira Spar, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000.
- Landless and Hungry? Access to Land in Early and Traditional Societies. von Dassow, Eva, Research School CNWS, 1998.
- The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Book of Going Forth by Day. von Dassow, Eva, San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1994. 2nd ed., Cairo: The American University in Cairo Press, 1998.
- What the Canaanite Cuneiformists Wrote: von Dassow, Eva, Israel Exploration Journal, 2003.
- Lists of People from the Alalah IV Administrative Archives. von Dassow, Eva, Ugarit-Forschungen, 2003.
- Greece Before Hellas: von Dassow, Eva, Modern Greek Studies Yearbook, 18/19 , 2002/2003.
- Canaanite in Cuneiform: von Dassow, Eva, Journal of the American Oriental Society, 124 641-74, 2004 .
- State and Society in the Late Bronze Age: Alalah Under the Mittani Empire. von Dassow, Eva, CDL Press, Author, 2008.
- Naram-Sin of Uruk: a New King in an Old Shoebox: von Dassow, Eva, Journal of Cuneiform Studies, 61 63-91, 2009.
- Temporality and Periodization in Ancient Near Eastern History: von Dassow, Eva, Social Science History, 36/1 113-143, 2012.
- Piecing Together the Song of Release: von Dassow, Eva, Journal of Cuneiform Studies, 65 127-62, 2013.
- Journal of Near Eastern Studies: von Dassow, Eva, University of Chicago Press, How to Get Credit and Avoid Foreclosure in Arraphe, 77/2 235-48, 2018.
- Constituent, Confederate, and Conquered Space: The Emergence of the Mittani State: von Dassow, Eva, de Gruyter, Levantine Polities under Mittanian Hegemony, 11-32, 2014.