Dept of Communication Studies
225 Ford Hall
224 Church St SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- M.A.: Communication, Media, and Theatre, Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, Illinois, 2012.
- Critical Media Studies; Rhetorical Studies; Communication Philosophy; Cultural Studies; Digital Media; Gender Studies
- Introduction to U.S. Electronic Media
- Media Literacy
- Introduction to Public Speaking,
Research & Professional Activities
- Facilitator: Communication Studies Writing Group , 2016 - 2017
- Manuscript Reviewer: Division of Philosophy, Theory, and Critique, International Communication Association , 2015 - 2015
- Graduate Student Liaison: Department of Communication Studies , 2013 - 2015
- Committee Member: National Communication Association Convention Member Working Committee , 2013 - 2015
- Chair Search Commmittee: Department of Communication Studies , 2014 - 2014
- Editorial Board: Teaching Media Quarterly , 2013 - 2014
- Manuscript Reviewer: Philosophy, Theory, and Critique Division, International Communication Association , 2014 - 2014
- Manuscript Reviewer: Ethnography Division, Central States Communication Conference , 2013 - 2013
- Vice President: Communication Studies Graduate Student Association, University of Minnesota , 2012 - 2013
- Manuscript Reviewer: International Communication Association. Divisions: Visual Communication, GLBT, Mass Communication , 2012 - 2012
- Manuscript Reviewer: Left Coast Press , 2012 - 2012
- Manuscript Reviewer: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Caucus, Central States Communication Association , 2010 - 2011
- Manuscript Reviewer: Left Coast Press , 2010 - 2010
- Invited Commentator: Presidential Debate Watch, University of Minnesota , 2012 - 2012
- Institutional Advancement Council: Northeastern Illinois University , 2009 - 2012
- Jacques Ranciére Workshop: Béla Tarr with Jacques Ranciére: Invited participant for film workshop with Jacques Ranciére, 2013 - 2013
- State of the Union White House Social: Invited participant to the Eisenhower Building with White House communication team members during President Obama's State of the Union Address, 2013 - 2013
- Considering Hall and Reconsidering Foundations of the Popular: Wight, Jules, The Popular Culture Studies Journal, 2:1 259-264, 2014. LinkDownload
- Wight, Jules. “Saving Private Manning?: On Erasure and the Queer in the I Am Bradley Manning Campaign.” QED: A Journal in GLBTQ Worldmaking 1, no. 1 (2014): 118–29.
- Wight, Jules. “Queer Sweet Home Disorientation, Tyranny, and Silence in Digital Space.” Cultural Studies ? Critical Methodologies 14, no. 2 (April 1, 2014): 128–37.
- Wight, J. (2011). Facing gender performativity: How transgender performances and performativity trouble facework research. Kaleidoscope, 10: 73-90.
- Wight, J. & Adams, T. E. (2010). Coming out in everyday interaction. In J. Manning, C. Noland, & J. MacLennan (Eds.), Case Studies of Communication about Sex. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Karlyn Kohrs Campbell Graduate Student Teaching Award, Department of Communication Studies, University of Minnesota, 2015
- Outstanding Student Papers in Philosophy of Communication Panel, Philosophy of Communication Division, National Communication Association, 2015
- Graduate Student Teaching Award - Council of Graduate Students-Minnesota Student Association, University of Minnesota
- Top Paper, 2014, Graduate Student Caucus, Central States Communication Association
- Top Master’s Thesis – Rhetorical/Humanistic, 2013, Master’s Education Section, National Communication Association
- Bernard J. Brommel Doctoral Scholarship, 2013, Northeastern Illinois University
- NCA Summer Doctoral Honors Seminar, 2013, National Communication Association, Schoodic Education and Research Center, University of Maine
- Maryan Schall Doctoral Fellowship, 2013, University of Minnesota
- Communication Studies Summer Doctoral Fellowship, 2012