Hella Mears Fellowship
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 8, 2024
The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship fund demonstrates Hella Mears' support and commitment to the Center for German & European Studies and fostering graduate student research on a wide variety of German and European topics. Since the fellowship's inception, fellowships have been awarded to advanced graduate students in a number of liberal arts disciplines. Find out more about past Hella Mears Fellowship winners.
Up to ten $6,000 fellowships are available. There are two types of Hella Mears Graduate Fellowships:
- Fellowships for outstanding incoming students at the time of recruitment (only departments may nominate candidates). Nomination deadline: February 19, 2024.
- Fellowships for outstanding full-time advanced graduate students in the College of Liberal Arts. The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship provides summer support in the amount of $6,000. Advanced graduate students apply directly to CGES. Application deadline March 8, 2024. See the How to Apply page for application instructions and an application form.
- Full-time graduate students in German and European studies seeking a PhD who are in the dissertation phase or immediate pre-dissertation phase (post oral preliminary exams at the time of award)
- Applicants have demonstrated outstanding academic promise and potential in their fields and propose to write a dissertation contributing to German and/or European Studies
- Good academic standing
- Willingness to share research results with an appropriate audience
- Applicants who have not been awarded a Hella Mears Summer Fellowship will received competitive preference.