Hella Mears Fellowship
The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship fund demonstrates Hella Mears's support and commitment to the Center for German & European Studies and fostering graduate student research on a wide variety of German and European topics. Since the fellowship's inception, fellowships have been awarded to advanced graduate students in a number of liberal arts disciplines. Find out more about past Hella Mears Fellowship winners.
Up to eight $5,000 fellowships are available. There are two types of Hella Mears Graduate Fellowships:
- Fellowships for outstanding incoming students at time of recruitment (only departments may nominate candidates). Nomination deadline: February 19, 2018.
- Fellowships for outstanding full-time advanced graduate students in the College of Liberal Arts. The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship provides summer 2018 support in the amount of $5,000. Advanced graduate students apply directly to CGES. Application deadline: March 9, 2018. See the How to Apply page for application instructions and an application form.
- Full-time graduate students in the College of Liberal Arts seeking a PhD who are in the dissertation phase or immediate pre-dissertation phase (post oral preliminary exams at time of award)
- Applicants have demonstrated outstanding academic promise and potential in their fields and propose to write a dissertation contributing to German and/or European Studies
- Good academic standing
- Willingness to share research results with an appropriate audience
- Applicants have not held an earlier Hella Mears Fellowship Award