Second Language Placement

If you plan to complete a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or a Bachelor of Individualized Study (BIS) degree in the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) you must complete the CLA second-language requirement.

The College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Language Testing Program administers the Entrance Proficiency Test (EPT) and the Language Proficiency Exam (LPE) to students at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.

Plan to complete the EPT at least two weeks prior to your orientation date. Please note: You will need a high-speed Internet connection to take the test.

Click here for information or to get started on the EPT and LPE.



If you want to take these languages at the second-semester level or higher, then you can arrange to take a placement test through the Department of Asian Languages and Literatures.

American Sign Language

If you want to take American Sign Language, contact the American Sign Language Program for evaluation (612-624-1274).


Other Languages

If you need placement advice for other languages, especially those not taught at the University of Minnesota, connect with your CLA academic advisor during your orientation advising appointment or via email.