If you are interested in pursuing a research position in Economics, we encourage you to attend the Undergraduate Research Showcase on Wednesday, May 19th. In this special seminar, the 2020-2021 undergrad RAs will share their research process and findings.
The Department of Economics and Heller-Hurwicz Economics Institute values the importance of undergraduate research at the University of Minnesota. This program offers the opportunity for undergraduate economics majors to work with world-renowned faculty and graduate students in the field of economics. Past undergraduate research students have assisted faculty members with topics related to healthcare, public pension policy, retirement financing, minimum wage and the resolution of state court cases. Each undergraduate research assistant will:
Friday, June 18, 2021
- Conduct research work for 10-15 hours per week
- Receive a wage of $10.50 per hour for hours worked
- Exhibit their research findings at a poster session for the general public
- Attend monthly meetings with the other undergraduate RAs
- Attend meetings as required by the faculty member
To be eligible for this opportunity, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be declared economics majors of junior or senior status
- Demonstrate exceptional interest and academic ability in economics
- Applicants who reach the final round may be asked to participate in brief interviews
Aside from the requirements, here are some tips to make you a competitive applicant:
- Complete or be enrolled in an introductory econometrics course (ECON 4211 or ECON 4261)
- Complete or be enrolled in an introductory programming course (CSCI 1103 or CSCI 1113 or CSCI 1133)
- Have experience working with statistical software packages, such as STATA or R
This experience will prepare you for a wide variety of careers after graduation, including:
as an undergraduate RA? Watch the video
to hear from some of our 2019-20
participants about their research projects
and the experience overall.
- Graduate school in economics, statistics, etc.
- Data analytics
- Quantitative analytics
- Public policy
The priority deadline for applicants is Friday, June 18, 2021. If you applied within the last month, you do not need to reapply. For those who applied in the past, we recommend you update your application to be considered for Fall 2021.
If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alex Becker, Class of '19, Undergraduate Research Assistant for Professor Ellen McGrattan
Sarah Brown, Class of '19, Undergraduate Research Assistant for Professor Amil Petrin
Wesley Janson, Class of '18, Undergraduate Research Assistant for Senior Fellow Kurt Winkelmann
Grace Brang, Class of '18, Undergraduate Research Assistant for Professor Ellen McGrattan