How to Apply
The Institute of Linguistics accepts applications to the program with classes beginning in fall semester.
The deadline to apply for the upcoming fall semester is December 15th each year. To be considered for admission and fellowships, your application must be submitted by this date.
Unfortunately at this time, we cannot provide waivers for the graduate application fee collected by Graduate Admissions.
The Institute of Linguistics requires the following application materials:
- University of Minnesota Graduate School Application online form.
- A curriculum vitae or resume.
- A Personal Statement (including research interests).
- A writing sample.
- Three letters of recommendation. These are to be uploaded into the application by your recommendation providers.
- Transcripts from each college or university you have attended.
- English Language Proficiency Scores (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS). English Language Proficiency Assessments are required of international applicants, unless the applicant has completed 24 quarter credits or 16 semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States (or another English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota. For more information on English Language Proficiency Assessments and how to submit the scores, visit the English Language Proficiency resource online.
We do not require any specific BA in order to apply for admission to our graduate programs. We do not require a GRE score be submitted as part of an application.
If you are accepted into the program, you will start in the fall semester, which begins in September each year.