How to Apply
The Institute of Linguistics accepts applications to the program with classes beginning in fall semester. Applications for spring semester will be considered only under special circumstances and if there is room.
The deadline to apply for Fall 2019 is December 15, 2018. To be considered for admission and fellowships, your application must be submitted by this date.
The Institute of Linguistics requires the following application materials:
- University of Minnesota Graduate School Application form.
- A statement of purpose. Upload your statement into the application under the heading Applicant Statements (Statement #1).
- A writing sample. Upload your writing sample into the application under the heading Program Supplementary Information (Writing Sample).
- Three letters of recommendation. These are to be uploaded into the application by your recommendation providers.
- Supplementary Questionnaire for Graduate Program Applicants (DOCX, PDF). Upload a file containing your answers to these questions into the application under the heading "Program Supplementary Information (Graduate Program Additional Application)".
- Transcripts from each college or university you have attended. Unofficial transcripts should be uploaded into the application under the heading Credentials.
- GRE scores. For more information on submitting your GRE scores, click here.
- English Language Proficiency Scores (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS). English Language Proficiency Assessments are required of international applicants, unless the applicant has completed 24 quarter credits or 16 semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States (or another English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota. For more information on English Language Proficiency Assessments and how to submit the scores, click here.
We do not require any specific BA in order to apply for admission to our graduate programs.
If you are accepted into the program, you will start in the fall semester, which begins in September each year.