Faculty, Postdoc, and Graduate Student Research
- Allchin, D. 2021. Who speaks for science? Science & Education doi: 10.1007/s11191-021-00257-4
- Allchin, D. 2017. Sacred Bovines: The Ironies of Misplaced Assumptions in Biology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Allchin, D. and A. Werth. 2017. The naturalizing error. Journal of the General Philosophy of Science 48:3–18.
- Boantza, V.D. 2017. Elements, instruments, and menstruums: Boerhaave’s imponderable fire between chemical masterpiece and physical axiom. In J. Buchwald and L. Stewart (eds), The Romance of Science, 9–46. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Boantza, V.D. and L. Tomory. 2016. The ‘subtile aereal spirit of fountains’: mineral waters and the history of pneumatic chemistry. Early Science and Medicine 21(4):303–331.
- Boantza, V.D. 2013. Matter and Method in the Long Chemical Revolution: Laws of Another Order. Burlington: Ashgate.
- Borrello, M.E. and D. Sepkoski. February 5, 2022. Ideology as Biology The New York Review of Books.
- Zuk, M. and M.E. Borrello. 2013. Parasites and altruism: converging roads. Biology Letters 9(6):20130367.
- Ratcliff, W.C., R.F. Denison, M.E. Borrello, and M. Travisano. 2012. Experimental evolution of multicellularity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 109:1595–1600.
- Borrello, M.E. 2010. Evolutionary Restraints: The Contentious History of Group Selection. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Roy T. Cook
- Cook, R.T. 2021. MTV Logics. J Philos Logic
- Tourville, T., and Cook, R.T. 2020. Embracing intensionality: Paradoxicality and semi-truth operators in fixed point models. Logic Journal of the IGPL, 28(5):747–770.
- Cook, R.T., and Ø. Linnebo. 2018. Cardinality and acceptable abstraction principles. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 59(1):61–74.
- Berg, E.D., and R.T. Cook. 2017. The propositional logic of Frege’s Grundgesetze: semantics and expressiveness. Journal for the History of Analytic Philosophy 5(6):1–34.
- Cook, R.T. 2017. Abstraction and four kinds of invariance (or: what’s so logical about counting?). Philosophia Mathematica 25(1):3–25.
- Distelzweig, P.M. 2016. “Mechanics” and mechanism in William Harvey’s anatomy: varieties and limits. In P.M. Distelzweig, B. Goldberg, and E. Ragland (eds), Early Modern Medicine and Natural Philosophy, 117–140. New York: Springer.
- Distelzweig, P.M. 2016. The use of usus and the function of functio: teleology and its limits in Descartes’ physiology. Journal of the History of Philosophy 53(3):377–399.
- Distelzweig, P.M. 2013. The intersection of mathematical and natural science: the subordinate sciences in Aristotle. Apeiron 46(2):85–105.
- Donaho, S. 2002. Standard quantification theory in the analysis of English. Journal of Philosophical Logic 31(6):499–526.
- Donaho, S. 1998. "Are Declarative Sentences Representational?", Mind 107 (January 1998), pp. 33-58.
Samuel C. Fletcher
- Fletcher, S.C. 2018. Minimal approximations and Norton’s dome. Synthese.
- Cuffaro, M.E. and S.C. Fletcher (eds) 2018. Physical Perspectives on Computation, Computational Perspectives on Physics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fletcher, S.C., J.B. Manchak, M.D. Schneider, and J.O. Weatherall. 2018. Would two dimensions be world enough for spacetime? Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics.
- Fletcher, S.C. 2016. Similarity, topology, and physical significance in relativity theory. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 67(2):365–389.
- Folina, J. 2018. After non-Euclidean geometry: intuition, truth, and the autonomy of mathematics. Journal for the History of Analytic Philosophy 6(3):163–80.
- Folina, J. 2012. Newton and Hamilton: in defense of truth in algebra. Southern Journal of Philosophy 50(3):504–27.
Charles J. Geyer
May, G. Ruth G. Shaw, Charles J. Geyer, and Daniel J. Eck. 2022. Do Interactions among Microbial Symbionts Cause Selection for Greater Pathogen Virulence? The American Naturalist 199:2, 252-265
- Al-Dhalimy, H., and C.J. Geyer. 2016. Surreal time and ultratasks. Review of Symbolic Logic 9(4):836–847.
- Eck, D.J., R.G. Shaw, C.J. Geyer, and J.G. Kingsolver. 2015. An integrated analysis of phenotypic selection on insect body size and development time. Evolution 69(9):2525–2532.
- Price, B.S., C.J. Geyer, and A.J. Rothman. 2015. Ridge fusion in statistical learning. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 24(2):439-454.
- Gordon-Roth, J. 2018. What kind of monist is Anne Finch Conway? Journal of the American Philosophical Association 4(3):280–97.
- Gordon-Roth, J., and N. Kendrick. 2015. Including early modern women writers in survey courses: a call to action. Metaphilosophy 46(3):364–379.
- Gordon-Roth, J. 2015. Locke's place-time-kind principle. Philosophy Compass 10(4):264–74.
- Gorham, G. 2018. Descartes on the infinity of space vs. time. In O. Nachtomy and R. Winegar (eds), Infinity in Early Modern Philosophy, 45–61. London: Brill Publishers.
- Gorham, G. 2014. Hobbes on the reality of time. Hobbes Studies 27:80–103.
- Gorham, G. 2014. Spinoza on the ideality of time. Idealistic Studies 43:27–40.
Hawthorne, SCC; Williams-Wengerd A: “Is treatment helping? How providers gauge effectiveness in treating serious mental illness.” SSM-Mental Health 2022; 2, unpaginated, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssmmh.2022.100110
Hawthorne, S. with Anne Williams-Wengerd. 2019. On Effective’ at What?: On Effective Intervention in Serious Mental Illness. Health Care Analysis 27(4):289-308. Online March 20 2019; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10728-019-00367-9
Hawthorne, S. with Amy Ihlan. 2018. Rethinking Civil Commitment: The Radical Resources of the Ethics of Care. Public Philosophy Journal 1(1). Open source: http://publications.publicphilosophyjournal.org/record/?issue=6-18-22&kid=6-15-173285
- Hawthorne, S. 2017. Values as ‘Evidence For’: Mental Illness, Medicine, and Policy. Robyn Bluhm, ed., Knowing and Acting in Medicine, London, Rowman & Littlefield, pp. 133-150.
- Hellman, G. and S. Shapiro. 2018. Varieties of Continua: From Regions to Points and Back. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hellman, G. and S. Shapiro. 2018. Mathematical Structuralism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Hellman, G. and R.T. Cook. 2018. Extendibility and paradox. In R. Cook and G. Hellman (eds), Hilary Putnam on Logic and Mathematics, 51–73. New York: Springer.
Alan C. Love
Love, A.C. and M. Dresow. 2022. Organizing interdisciplinary research on purpose. BioScience. [open access]
- Love, A.C. and G.P. Wagner. 2022. Co-option of stress mechanisms in the origin of evolutionary novelties. Evolution. [open access]
- Love, A.C. 2021. Manipulating levels of organization. In D.S. Brooks, J. DiFrisco, and W.C. Wimsatt (eds), Hierarchy and Levels of Organization in the Biological Sciences. Cambridge: MIT Press, 135–151.
Love, A.C. 2020. Situating evolutionary developmental biology in evolutionary theory. In S.M. Scheiner and D.P Mindell (eds), The Theory of Evolution: Principles, Concepts, and Assumptions. University of Chicago Press, 144-169. [preprint]
Love, A.C. and S.D. Stovitz. 2020. The pandemic and conceptual issues in medicine and health. The Los Angeles Times (Op-Ed).
- Lidgard, S. and A.C. Love. 2018. Rethinking living fossils. Bioscience 68(10):760–770.
- Love, A.C. 2018. Individuation, individuality, and experimental practice in developmental biology. In O. Bueno, R.-L. Chen, and M.B. Fagan (eds), Individuation, Process and Scientific Practices, 165–191. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Love, A.C. 2017. Building integrated explanatory models of complex biological phenomena: From Mill’s methods to a causal mosaic. In M. Massimi and J.-W. Romeijn (eds), EPSA Philosophy of Science: Düsseldorf 2015. The European Philosophy of Science Association Proceedings, Vol. 5, 221–232. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Love, A.C., T.A. Stewart, G.P. Wagner, and S.A. Newman. 2017. Perspectives on integrating genetic and physical explanations of evolution and development. Integrative and Comparative Biology 57(6):1258–1268.
- Redish, A.D., E. Kummerfeld, R.L. Morris, and A.C. Love. 2018. Reproducibility failures are essential to scientific inquiry. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 115:5042–5046.
- Marshall, D. 2013. Galileo’s defense of the application of geometry to physics in the Dialogue. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 44(2):178–87.
- Marshall, D. 2011. Leibniz: geometry, physics, and idealism. The Leibniz Review 21:9–32.
- Nelson, P.G. and G. May. 2017. Coevolution between mutualists and parasites in symbiotic communities may lead to the evolution of lower virulence. American Naturalist 190(6):803–817.
- David, A.S., E. Seabloom, and G. May. 2017. Disentangling environmental and host sources of fungal endophyte communities in an experimental beachgrass study. Molecular Ecology 26(21):6157–6169.
- Bruns, E., M.L. Carson, and G. May. 2014. The jack of all trades is master of none: A pathogen's ability to infect a greater number of host genotypes comes at a cost of delayed reproduction. Evolution 68(9):2453-2466.
Michael Bennett McNulty
- McNulty, M.B. 2018. Continuity of change in Kant’s dynamics. Synthese.
- McNulty, M.B. and M. Stan. 2017. From general to special metaphysics of nature. In M.C. Altman (ed), The Palgrave Kant Handbook, 493–511. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- McNulty, M.B. 2016. Chemistry in Kant’s Opus Postumum. HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science 6(1):64–95.
- McNulty, M.B. 2015. Rehabilitating the regulative use of reason: Kant on empirical and chemical laws. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 54:1–10.
- Shaw, R.G. 2019. From the past to the future: considering the value and limits of evolutionary prediction. American Naturalist 193:1–10.
- Warwell, M.V. and R.G. Shaw. 2018. Phenotypic selection on growth rhythm in whitebark pine under climatic conditions warmer than seed origins. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 31:1284–1299.
- Tanner, J.C., J.L. Ward, R.G. Shaw, and M.A. Bee. 2017. Multivariate phenotypic selection on a complex sexual signal. Evolution 71:1742–1754.
- Travisano, M. and R.G. Shaw. 2013. Lost in the map. Evolution 67:305–314.
Edward S. Slowik
- Slowik, E.S. 2019. Cartesian Holenmerism and its Discontents: Or, On the “Dislocated” Relationship of Descartes’s God to the Material World. Journal of the History of Philosophy 57:235-254.
- Slowik, E.S. 2016. The Deep Metaphysics of Space: An Alternative History and Ontology beyond Substantivalism and Relationism. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Slowik, E.S. 2016. Situating Kant’s pre-critical monadology: Leibnizian ubeity, monadic activity, and idealist unity. Early Science and Medicine 21(4):332–349.
- Slowik, E.S. 2016. An historical defense of non-spacetime hypotheses: non-local beables and Leibnizian ubeity. Philosophia Scientiae 20:149–166.
- Slowik, E.S. 2019. The Deep Metaphysics of Quantum Gravity: The Seventeenth Century Legacy and an Alternative Ontology beyond Substantivalism and Relationism. Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, 44:490-499.
- Snell-Rood, E. and M.K. Steck. 2019. Behaviour shapes environmental variation and selection on learning and plasticity: review of mechanisms and implications. Animal Behaviour 147:147–156.
- Steck, M.K. and E. Snell-Rood. 2018. Specialization and accuracy of host-searching butterflies in complex and simple environments. Behavioral Ecology 29(2):486–495.
- Sikkink, K. L., M.E. Kobiela, and E. Snell-Rood. 2017. Genomic adaptation to agricultural environments: cabbage white butterflies (Pieris rapae) as a case study. BMC genomics 18(1):412.
- Snell-Rood, E. 2016. Interdisciplinarity: bring biologists into biomimetics. Nature 529:277–278.
- Fletcher, S.C., Taylor, D.E. 2021. Two quantum logics of indeterminacy. Synthese 199, 13247–13281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-021-03375-2
- Fletcher, S.C., Taylor, D.E. 2021. Quantum indeterminacy and the eigenstate-eigenvalue link. Synthese 199, 11181–11212 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-021-03285-3
- Taylor, D.E. 2021. Reference for neo-Fregeans. Synthese 198, 11505–11536. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-020-02811-z
- Taylor, D.E. Quine on matters of fact. 2021. Synthese 193, 605–636. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-015-0765-6
- Taylor, D.E. 2018. A minimal characterization of indeterminacy. The Philosopher’s Imprint 18:1–25.
- Taylor, D.E. 2017. Deflationism and referential indeterminacy. The Philosophical Review 126(1):43–79.
- Tiberius, V. Forthcoming, What Do You Want From Life: a Philosophical Guide to Figuring out What Matters. Princeton University Press.
- DeYoung, Colin G., and Tiberius, V. Forthcoming. “Value fulfillment from a cybernetic perspective: A new psychological theory of well-being”, Personality and Social Psychology Review.
- Tiberius, V. 2021. “Growth and the Multiple Dimensions of Well-Being: A Philosopher’s Take on the Idea of Post-Traumatic Growth”, in Redesigning Research on Post-Traumatic Growth: Challenges, Pitfalls, and New Directions, edited by Frank J. Infurna and Eranda Jayawickreme. Oxford University Press, pp. 1-11.
- Koenig, M. A., Tiberius, V., & Hamlin, J. K. 2019. Children’s Judgments of Epistemic and Moral Agents: From Situations to Intentions. Perspectives on Psychological Science, https://doi.org/10.1177/1745691618805452.
- Tiberius, V. 2018. Well-Being as Value Fulfillment: How We Can Help Each Other to Live Well, Oxford University Press.
- Rebolleda-Gómez, M., and M. Travisano. 2019. Adaptation, chance, and history in experimental evolution reversals to unicellularity. Evolution.
- Lin, H., R.J. Kazlauskas, and M. Travisano. 2017. Developmental evolution facilitates rapid adaptation. Scientific Reports 7(1):15891.
- Driscoll, W. W. and M. Travisano. 2017. Synergistic cooperation promotes multicellular performance and unicellular free-rider persistence. Nature Communications 8:15707.
- O'Malley, M.A., M. Travisano, G.J. Velicer, and J.A. Bolker. 2015. How do microbial populations and communities function as model systems? Quarterly Review of Biology 90(3):269-293.
- Truran, P.L., 2016. The Development of Creative Thinking in Graduate Students Doing Scientific Research. Educational Technology. Nov-Dec. pp 41-46.
- Garry, V.R. and P.L. Truran. 2015. Developmental toxicology. In: S.M. Roberts, R.C. James, and P.L. Williams (eds), Principles of Toxicology: Environmental and Industrial Applications (3rd edition), 223–234. New York: Wiley.
- Truran, P.L. 2013. Practical Applications of the Philosophy of Science: Thinking about Research. Berlin: Springer.
- Garry, V.R. and P.L. Truran. 2011 Secular trends in pubertal timing: a role for environmental chemical exposure? In: E. Diamanti-Kandarakis and A.C. Gore (eds), Endocrine Disruptors and Puberty, 357–372. Berlin: Springer.
- Uffink, J. & Valente, G., 2021, Afanassjewa and the Foundations of Thermodynamics in Women in the History of Philosophy and Sciences. Springer Nature, vol 7. p. 55-82 28 p.
- Uffink, J. 2017. Masanes and Oppenheim on the third law of thermodynamics. Foundations of Physics 47(7):871–872.
- Uffink, J. and G. Valente. 2015. Lanford’s theorem and the emergence of irreversibility. Foundations of Physics 45(4):404–438.
- Uffink, J. 2013. Reply to Gao's "On Uffink's criticism of protective measurements". Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 44(4):519–523.
- Douven, I. and J. Uffink. 2012. Quantum probabilities and the conjunction principle. Synthese 184(1):109–114.
- Wimsatt W.C. 2015. Entrenchment as a theoretical tool in evolutionary developmental biology. In A.C. Love (ed), Conceptual Change in Biology: Scientific and Philosophical Perspectives on Evolution and Development, 365–402. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Wimsatt, W.C. 2013. Articulating Babel: linking different perspectives on cultural evolution. Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 44:563–571.
- Caporael, L., J. Griesemer, and W.C. Wimsatt. (eds) 2013. Developing Scaffolds in Evolution, Culture, and Cognition. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Wimsatt, W. C. 2007. Re-Engineering Philosophy for Limited Beings: Piecewise Approximations to Reality. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Zuk, M. 2022. Dancing Cockatoos and the Dead Man Test: How Behavior Evolves and Why it Matters. W.W. Norton, NY.
Heinen‐Kay, J.L., Kay, A.D. and Zuk, M. 2021. How urbanization affects sexual communication. Ecology and Evolution. 11(24):17625-17650. doi.org/10.1002/ece3.832
- Zuk, M. 2021. Sex differences, sexual selection, and gamete size: a comment on Shuker and Kvarnemo. Behavioral Ecology 32:800-801.
- Zuk, M. and Spencer, H.G. 2020. Killing the Behavioral Zombie: Genes, Evolution, and Why Behavior Isn’t Special. BioScience 70(6):515-520
- Tanner, J.C., L.M. Garbe, and M. Zuk. 2019. When virginity matters: age and mating status affect female responsiveness in crickets. Animal Behaviour 14783–90.
Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Fellows
- Stoltzfus, A. and K. Cable. 2014. Mendelian-mutationism: the forgotten evolutionary synthesis. Journal of the History of Biology 47(4):501–546.
- Cook, R.T. and M. Calasso. 2018. Review of Abstraction and Infinity (OUP, 2016) by Paolo Mancosu. Philosophia Mathematica.
- Dresow, M.W. 2019. Macroevolution evolving: punctuated equilibria and the roots of Stephen Jay Gould’s second macroevolutionary synthesis, Studies in the History and Philosophy of Biology and Biomedical Science, Part C, 75: 15-23.
- Dresow, M.W. 2019. Gould's laws: a second perspective, Biology & Philosophy, 34(46) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10539-019-9698-7.
- Dresow, M.W. 2017. Before hierarchy: the rise and fall of Stephen Jay Gould’s first macroevolutionary synthesis. History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences 39(2):6.
- Harkness, A., E.E. Goldberg, and Y.J. Brandvain. 2018. Heterosis from local drift load is likely insufficient to favor reversions to outcrossing. bioRxiv: 273946. doi: 10.1101/273946.
Harkness, A., Y.J. Brandvain, and E.E. Goldberg. 2018. Evolution of plant mating systems. Oxford Bibliographies in Evolutionary Biology. doi: 10.1093/obo/9780199941728-0095
Gabriela Huelgas Morales
- Huelgas Morales, G. and D.I. Greenstein. 2018. C. elegans germline cell death, live! PLoS Genetics 14(7):e1007425.
- Huelgas Morales, G. and D.I. Greenstein. 2018. Control of oocyte meiotic maturation in C. elegans. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology 84:90–99.
- Spike, C.A., G. Huelgas Morales, T., Tsukamoto, and D.I. Greenstein. 2018. Multiple mechanisms inactivate the LIN-41 RNA-binding protein to ensure a robust oocyte-to-embryo transition in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 210(3):1011–1037.
- Liu, K.E. 2018. Rethinking causation in cancer with evolutionary developmental biology. Biological Theory 13(4):228–242.
- Liu, K.E., A.C. Love, and M. Travisano. 2017. How cancer spreads: reconceptualizing a disease. In G. Boniolo and M.J. Nathan (eds), Philosophy of Molecular Medicine: Foundational Issues in Research and Practice, 100–121. New York: Routledge.
- Love AC, Yoshida Y (2019) Reflections on model organisms in evolutionary developmental biology. In: W Tworzydlo, S Bilinski (eds) Evo-Devo: Non-model species in cell and developmental biology, pp. 3-20, Springer, Berlin
- Yoshida, Y. and H. Nakao. 2015. EvoDevo as a motley aggregation: local integration and conflicting views of genes during the 1980s. Biological Theory 10(2):156–166.