Summer Music Theatre
The Summer Music Theatre (SMT) program is a 13-day hands-on theatre experience that runs 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. There will be no activities on the first Saturday of the program. Summer Music Theatre’s mission is to train and develop the next generation of musical theatre performers. This program is open to middle, high school, and junior college students with a strong interest in musical theatre. Students must be between the ages of 14 and 19. Some previous music theatre experience is a plus. Students should have some experience in one or more performance skills, including singing, dancing, or acting. The intensive 13-day summer program offers students the opportunity to:
- Develop critical techniques as well as stage, vocal, and dance skills in a professional atmosphere.
- Learn selections and scenes from such classic musicals as Les Misérables, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Wicked, Into the Woods, and more.
- Participate in a wide range of scenes providing every performer a major role to play.
- Have hands-on experiences in the use of props, costumes, set elements, and staging in the music theatre scenes they prepare.
- Perform in a showcase finale for family, friends, and community at the School of Music Opera Theatre Center (Ferguson Hall, Room 99).
Instructors (TBA, changes may be made)
|Vicki Fingalson||Vocal coach and stage director|
|Jeffrey Madison||Artistic Director|
|Linda Talcott Lee||Movement and choreography|
|Dawn Baker||Musical coach|
|Julian Ward||Musical coach|
Application deadline: N/A
$425 per student. A 20% discount will be provided for each student from the same family. On acceptance into the program, a non-refundable registration deposit of $75 is required. Checks should be made out to the U of M School of Music. Please place "SMT" in the memo line. Mail your check to the following address:
Summer Music Theatre
2106 4th Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
The remainder of the fee is due on N/A.
Auditions will be electronic submissions (video) of one aria/art song/music theatre selection as well as a one-minute monologue (memorized). Submissions can be made in either Mp4 or YouTube link formats and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Music Theatre is supported by a generous grant from the Twin Cities Opera Guild.