Student Resources

grad students working in library

The department is committed to helping students identify and utilize University resources. The following is an ever-growing list of services available to our students.

Departmental Orientation

Orientation is held each year during the week preceding the start of fall semester. At that time graduate students will be introduced to the Graduate Programs, meet with faculty members and fellow GIs, participate in an intensive orientation to the lower-division language program, and be given a tour of the campus and its facilities. This is also a chance for all Graduate Students, Instructors, and Faculty to work together to prep for fall teaching.

Teaching Preparation Courses: SPPT 5995 & SPPT 5999

Incoming students work intensively with Dr. Mandy Menke and Dr. Julia Lujan to prepare for teaching SPAN 1022 their first semester.

Instructor Handbook

Graduate Instructors will also find important information in the Graduate Instructor Handbook (teaching and training obligations, course work as GIs, evaluation of GIs as graduate students, graduate work vs. teaching responsibilities).  Copies of the handbook are distributed as a PDF and can also be found on the departmental Intranet page.

Department Professionalization Courses: SPPT 8920 & SPPT 8930

These courses introduce students to graduate school and the discipline and discuss what skills they will need to be a professor of Spanish and Portuguese. The required courses cover creating a C.V., writing grant and conference proposals, study skills, how to write a dissertation, and what the MLA job search and interview process is like. 8920 is typically taken in the fall of the first year and 8930 the fall of the third.

Career Development Awards

Department funds are available for students taking courses or attending workshops during the summer. See the funding page for more info.

View additional resources available at the University of Minnesota to students from traditionally underrepresented and under-resourced backgrounds here.

The Graduate School

Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Career Support

Council Of Graduate Students (COGS) 

The Council of Graduate Students is the official governing body representing graduate students at the University.  COGS provides opportunities for graduate students to participate actively in University administrative and policy decisions.  Graduate students in each degree-granting program are entitled to elect one representative to serve on the Council, which also recruits for the Graduate School Policy and Review Councils, the University Senate, and other University-wide committees.  Interested students should visit their website for additional information.

International Student & Scholar Services – Counseling

ISSS staff is professionally trained to provide information and counseling to foreign nationals about academic, immigration, legal, career, financial, personal and family issues, as well as issues of cross-cultural adjustment and professional integration upon returning to home countries. 

Graduate Assistant Employment Services

The Graduate Assistant Employment office can answer questions about tuition benefits, job vacancy postings, semester provisional benefits, extended benefits, and policies. 

University Counseling & Consulting Services

UCCS promotes student success through individual and group counseling; classes, workshops, and presentations; and consultation to faculty, staff, and students. 

Walk-in crisis counseling is offered at Student Counseling Services from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at 340 Appleby Hall.  These services are not the same as those available in an emergency room and should not be substituted for a situation requiring immediate intervention. If you're concerned about someone, you can call 612-624-3323 during those hours and ask to consult with the crisis counselor.

Boynton Health Services

Boynton is a full-service primary care clinic and wellness facility that provides high quality care for students, staff and faculty. Boynton also provides mental health services including urgent mental health consultations. 

The Aurora Center

The Aurora Center provides a safe and confidential space for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and family members or friends affiliated with the University of Minnesota, TC or Augsburg College who are victims/survivors/concerned people of sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking. 

Housing and Residential Life

The Office of Housing and Residential Life provides individualized service to all students, staff and faculty who are interested in available housing both on and off campus. 

Student Conflict Resolution Center (SCRC)

SCRC actively assists students with campus-based problems. The most common types of problems are grade and academic disputes, financial aid and billing problems, and disputes between professors and students.

Office of Equity and Diversity

The Office of Equity and Diversity’s mission is to leverage the transformative power of equity and diversity to advance excellence in teaching, research and community engagement at the University of Minnesota.

University Student Legal Services

Funded by student fees, the Office of University Student Legal Services provides a variety of legal services to full-time students. 

Community of Scholars Program

Based in the Graduate School Diversity Office, the Community of Scholars Program (COSP) works towards creating an institutional environment that supports the academic and professional success of Native American graduate students and domestic graduate students of color who are underrepresented in academia.

Student Parent Help Center

The Office for Student Affairs has provided funding for a part time dedicated SPHC staff position specifically focused on the needs of graduate student parents. More info on services, assistance, and events at the Student Parent Help Center

Twin Cities Multicultural Directory

This multicultural directory serves to inform new and current students, staff, and faculty about resources and services within the Twin Cities area

Center for Writing

Visit Student Writing Support for free face-to-face and online writing consultations for all University of Minnesota students—graduate and undergraduate—at all stages of the writing process.

Nutritious U Food Pantry

Any student is welcome to visit the Nutritious U Food Pantry, no proof of need is necessary, and choose fresh and healthy food such as fruits and vegetables, grains, and proteins.