The School of Statistics Turns 50
Fifty years ago the School of Statistics was established at the University of Minnesota. In celebration, we will be hosting a series of 50th-anniversary events across Minneapolis this October.
WHEN: October 7 - 8, 2022
WHAT: Two days of activities taking place across Minneapolis
- Casual activities on campus that are self-guided or facilitated by the School of Statistics, including a reunion photo outside Ford Hall
- A 50th Anniversary Welcome Event, including a presentation of our first-ever Distinguished and Emerging Alumni Awards
- A Day of Statistics Talks featuring the Geisser Lecture, as well as panels and presentations shared by alumni
- “History and Hops” at a local brewery, where you’ll hear from past UMN statisticians about where we’ve come from
See the event schedule for full details on each activity.
Availability is limited.
$50 per attendee provides access to the full weekend of events. Note that all attendees incur a registration fee, including guests.
Learn about each activity and plan your weekend.
UMN-Twin Cities Campus
Campus activities are self-guided or facilitated by the School of Statistics. This list will be updated as we approach the event. Activities may include:
- A reunion photo outside Ford Hall
- Campus tours
- Classroom visits
- UMN talks, exhibits, and sporting events
Mintahoe at The Solar Arts Building
Attend the 50th anniversary welcome event, located in the trendy Quincy Street neighborhood of the Northeast Minneapolis Art District. Mintahoe at Solar Arts is a unique, 100 year old event venue located on the top floor of the Solar Arts Building, which also houses art studios & galleries, as well as one of the first breweries in Minneapolis--Indeed Brewing. Look forward to connecting with statistics alumni and friends:
- Catch up with alumni and faculty over a social hour with drinks and finger foods
- Capture the moment in our photo booth, update your alumni information, browse the building's art gallery, and shop for 50th anniversary gear
- Enjoy a sit-down dinner including a welcome address from John Coleman, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts
- Presentation of School of Statistics Alumni Awards
The Humphrey Conference Center
Join us on the West Bank for a day of statistics talks, panels, and discussions, featuring the esteemed Geisser lecture. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
A full schedule is forthcoming. Stay tuned!
Do you want to participate in a talk, panel, or presentation on this day? Fill out our interest form.
Pop into the bustling North Loop area to socialize, order a beer, and listen to a panel of past statisticians discuss the last 50 years!
We have intentionally planned a break between activities to allow attendees time for dinner. The North Loop is a vibrant neighborhood known for its food establishments, bars, and nightlife. Attendees can choose to find dinner on their own, or order takeout from one of the many food eateries nearby and bring it to Inbound to consume in good company. More information is forthcoming.
Do you want to present a talk or speak at the event? Let us know!
Submissions are due August 15, 2022. Speaker materials will be due in September.
Those who would like to donate specifically to the 50th Anniversary celebration can contribute to the School of Statistics Annual Fund.
Tell us where you are
Update your contact information with the University so you are sure to receive subsequent announcements and an official invitation.
We recommend that out-of-town guests book accommodation at The Graduate Hotel, located on the University of Minnesota’s East Bank. Event attendees receive a special discounted rate. Reserve online using code "UOFM".
The Graduate Hotel
615 Washington Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
$169 per night, subject to availability. $50 upgrade to suites based on availability
Want to catch up and see what we’ve been up to lately? Read our most recent newsletter.
Please direct any questions about this event to firstname.lastname@example.org.