School of Statistics News: Fall 2018
Dear Alumni and Friends,
The School of Statistics is finishing up another productive semester of teaching, learning, and research. Here are some highlights:
- Congratulations to Dr. Barbara Kuzmak, who has been promoted to senior lecturer.
- Professor Lan Wan was inducted as Fellow of the American Statistical Association. Last year she was honored as a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics.
- Dr. Lynn Lin visited campus for a week to teach courses, engage with faculty, and get to know students as the inaugural Institute for Research on Statistics and its Applications Scholar in Residence. This honors a distinguished statistician who shows a commitment to improving the lives of our students. We look forward to offering this position again in 2019-2020.
- The Advisory Board is expanding after a year of successfully advancing research, education, and outreach opportunities for our school.
- In conjunction with The Commons for Research in Social Sciences, The Institute for Research on Statistics and its Applications hosted a number of educational events this fall:
Stories below feature notable statisticians whose work is making a significant impact on our community.
- Assistant Professor Jie Ding joins our faculty team, providing interdisciplinary expertise as part scientist, part engineer.
- Professor Charles Geyer is collaborating with academics across campus to promote transparency in standard research practices.
- Recent alumnus Thean Cheat Lim reflects on his time at the University of Minnesota and the opportunities that prepared him for success after graduation.
Your support is fundamental to the reputation and continued development of our school. If you are moved by these stories, please consider donating to our Statistics Alumni Fellowship Fund.
Professor and Director, School of Statistics