Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: State University of New York, Buffalo.
- B.A. (summa cum laude): Macalester College.
- Creative Writing (fiction)
- Contemporary Fiction
- American Literature
- Seminar in Fiction
Research & Professional Activities
- Fiction Judge: National Book Awards , 2013
- Judge: Bakeless Fiction Prize , January 2004 - April 2004
- Edelstein-Keller Professor of Creative Writing: University of Minnesota , 2003-
- Adjunct Professor of English: University of Michigan , 2000 - 02
- Professor of English: University of Michigan , 1989 - 2000
- Professor of English: Wayne State University , 1985 - 89
- Visiting Faculty Member: Department of English, University of Michigan , 1987
- Faculty member: Master of Fine Arts Program, Warren Wilson College , 1986
- Associate Professor of English: Wayne State University , 1979 - 85
- Assistant Professor of English: Wayne State University , 1974 - 79
- Live OnLine: Washington Post, October 16, 2003
- Book Discussion Group: Minneapolis, November 20, 2003
- There’s Something I Want You to Do: Stories. Baxter, Charles. New York: Pantheon, Author, 2015.
- Gryphon: New and Selected Stories. Baxter, Charles, Pantheon/Vintage, Author, 2011.
- The Soul Thief. Baxter, Charles, Pantheon, Author, 2008.
- Beyond Plot. Baxter, Charles, Graywolf Press, Author, 2007.
- Saul and Patsy. Baxter, Charles, Pantheon Books, 2003.
- The Feast of Love. Baxter, Charles, Pantheon/Vintage, 2000.
- Believers. Baxter, Charles, Pantheon, 1997.
- Imaginary Paintings. Baxter, Charles, Paris Review Press, Author, 1997.
- Burning Down the House. Baxter, Charles, Graywolf Press, Author, 1997.
- Shadow Play. Baxter, Charles, Norton, Author, 1990.
- A Relative Stranger. Baxter, Charles, Norton, Author, 1990.
- First Light. Baxter, Charles, Viking, Author, 1987.
- Through the Safety Net. Baxter, Charles, Vintage, Author, 1985.
- Harmony of the World. Baxter, Charles, Vintage, Author, 1984.
- The Collected Stories of Sherwood Anderson. Baxter, Charles, New York: The Library of America, Editor, 2012.
- A William Maxwell Portrait. Baxter, Charles, Edward Hirsch, Michael Collieri, New York: W. W. Norton & Co., Co-Editor, 2004.
- Bringing the Devil to His Knees: The Craft of Fiction and the Writing Life. Baxter, Charles, Peter Turchi, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, Co-Editor, 2001.
- Best New American Voices 2001. Baxter, Charles, New York: Harcourt, Editor, 2001.
- Breaking the Body Open: The Night of the Hunter: Baxter, Charles, Jim Shepard, New York: HarperCollins, Writers at the Movies, 39-57, 2000.
- The Business of Memory. Baxter, Charles, Saint Paul: Graywolf Press, Editor, 1999.
- "You're Really Something: Inflection and the Breath of Life: Baxter, Charles, Julie Checkoway, Cincinnati: Story Press, Creating Fiction, 182-196, 1999.
- Shame and Forgetting in the Information Age: Baxter, Charles, Saint Paul: Graywolf Press, The Business of Memory, 141-157, 1999.
- Minnesota Book Award, Fiction, There's Something I Want You To Do, 2016
- Rea Award in the Short Story, 2012
- Minnesota Book Award, General Nonfiction, The Art Of Subtext (Graywolf) 2008
- Award of Merit in the Short Story, American Academy of Arts and Letters 2007
- National Book Award Finalist for The Feast of Love, 2000
- Award in Literature, American Academy of Arts and Letters, April 1997
- The Cohen Award from Ploughshares magazine for best essay published in Ploughshares, 1994
- Ohio University Spring Literary Festival, Honoree, 1995
- The Daniel A. Pollack-Harvard Review award to Shadow Play, 1994
- The Gettysburg Review award in nonfiction prose for "Fiction and the Inner Life of Objects", 1994
- Michigan Author of the Year Award, 1993
- Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Foundation Fellowship, 1992-1995
- Lawrence Foundation Award, 1991
- Arts Foundation of Michigan Award, 1991
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 1985-1986
- Michigan Council for the Arts Grant, 1984
- National Endowment for the Arts Grant, 1983
- Lawrence Foundation Award, 1982