For MFA program information,
see Creative Writing.
Why choose graduate study in English at the University of Minnesota?
- Pursue cutting-edge literary studies research with faculty who are innovating the discipline
- Receive guaranteed funding support for six years to complete the PhD program
- Participate in cross-department interdisciplinary workshops, such as the Race, Indigeneity, and Sexual Studies Initiative, Center for Medieval Studies, and Center for Early Modern History
- Work with the University of Minnesota’s rich archival holdings, such as the Givens Collection of African American Literature, Upper Midwest Literary Archives, and pre-1800 collections in the James Ford Bell Library
- Take advantage of the literary, cultural, and artistic scenes in Minneapolis and St. Paul, a diverse and vibrant urban setting
What makes our faculty stand out? We are at the forefront of new directions in the advanced study of English literature:
Globalizing the study of literature
Using cognitive science to change how we understand reading
Using literature to change our approach to key issues of social justice
Addressing vital issues of environmental sustainability through literature
Find faculty interests by topic and period. See Creative Writing for information about the MFA degree.