On This Page:
Why choose graduate study in English at the University of Minnesota?
- Pursue cutting-edge literary studies research with faculty who are innovating the discipline
- Receive guaranteed funding support for six years to complete the PhD program
- Participate in cross-department interdisciplinary workshops, such as the Race, Indigeneity, and Sexual Studies Initiative, Center for Medieval Studies, and Center for Early Modern History
- Work with the University of Minnesota’s rich archival holdings, such as the Givens Collection of African American Literature, Upper Midwest Literary Archives, and pre-1800 collections in the James Ford Bell Library
- Take advantage of the literary, cultural, and artistic scenes in Minneapolis and St. Paul, a diverse and vibrant urban setting
What makes our faculty stand out?
We are at the forefront of new directions in the advanced study of English literature:
- Globalizing the study of literature
- Using cognitive science to change how we understand reading
- Using literature to change our approach to key issues of social justice
- Addressing vital issues of environmental sustainability through literature