Elizabeth Heger Boyle
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D. : Sociology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1996.
- J.D.: magna cum laude, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1987.
- M.A: Sociology, University of Iowa, Iowa, 1987.
- B.S.: Sociology, summa cum laude, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1983.
- Sociology of Law
- Children’s and Women’s Rights
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Global Perspective on Women's Health
- Soc 4101W - Sociology of Law
- Soc 4170/Glos 4406 - Sociology of International Law
- Soc 4966W - Senior Projects
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Human Rights
Research & Professional Activities
- Affiliate Faculty: University of Minnesota College of Law , 1996 - present
- Board of Trustees: Law & Society Association, 2012-2014, 2003-2005.
- Council Member: Sociology of Law Section of the American Sociological Association, 2014-2016.
- Chair: Sociology of Law Section of the American Sociological Association, 2010-11.
- Abortion Politics in the Global Arena: Transnational organizations from the International Planned Parenthood Association to the Roman Catholic Church have gotten involved in shaping abortion policies around the world. How has this affected governments’ regulation of abortion and what are the implications for women?
- IPUMS-Demographic and Health Surveys Project: Funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, this project enhances the ability to conduct comparative research with DHS data for scholars and policymakers around the globe
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, Shannon Golden, and Wenjie Liao. 2017. "The Catholic Church and International Law," Annual Review of Law & Social Science 13:forthcoming.
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, and Joseph Svec. Forthcoming 2017 . “Women and Economic Development.” In Encyclopedia of Globalization, edited by George Ritzer. New York: Sage Publications.
- Melissa M. Smarr, Katherine J. Sapra, Alison Gemmill, Linda G. Kahn, Lauren A. Wise, Courtney D. Lynch, Pam Factor-Litvak, Sunni L. Mumford, Niels E. Skakkebaek, Rémy Slama, Danelle T. Lobdell, Joseph B. Stanford, Tina Kold Jensen, Elizabeth Heger Boyle, Michael L. Eisenberg, Paul J. Turek, Rajeshwari Sundaram, Marie E. Thoma, and Germaine M. Buck Louis. 2017. "Is human fecundity changing? A discussion of research and data gaps precluding us from having an answer." Human Reproduction 1-6. doi:10.1093/humrep/dew361.
- Carr, Deborah, Elizabeth Heger Boyle, Shelley Correll, Robert Crosnoe, Jeremy Freese, and Mary Waters. 2017. The Art and Science of Social Research. W.W. Norton & Company.
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, and Joseph Svec. 2017. "Success in Reducing Female Genital Cutting: A Multilevel Framework of Social Change," in Alleviating World Suffering, edited by Ron A. Anderson. Springer.
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, and Jasmine Trang Ha. 2017. “Refugees.” Pp. 82-88 in Youth and Young Adulthood: New Perspectives and Agendas, Second Edition, edited by Andy Furlong. New York: Routledge.
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, Minzee Kim, and Wesley Longhofer. 2015. "Abortion Liberalization in World Society, 1960-2009." American Journal of Sociology 121(3):882-913.
- Yoo, Eun-hye, and Elizabeth Heger Boyle. 2015. "National Human Trafficking Initiatives: Dimensions of Policy Diffusion." Law & Social Inquiry 40(3):631-663.
- Makene, Fortunata Songora, and Elizabeth Heger Boyle. 2014 . "Genital Cutting, Female." Encyclopedia of Health, Illness, Behavior, and Society, edited by William C. Cockerham, Robert Dingwall, & Stella Quah. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Kim, Minzee, Wesley Longhofer, Elizabeth Heger Boyle, and Hollie Nyseth Brehm. 2013. “When Do Laws Matter? National Minimum-Age-of-Marriage Laws, Child Rights, and Adolescent Fertility, 1989-2007.” Law & Society Review 47(3):589-620.
- "Female Genital Cutting," Ed. Heather Montgomery. 2013. Oxford Bibliographies in Childhood Studies New York: Oxford University Press [online].
- Kim, Minzee, and Elizabeth Heger Boyle. 2012. “Neoliberalism, Transnational Education Norms, and Education Spending in the Developing World, 1983-2004.” Law & Social Inquiry 37(2): 367-394.
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, and Hollie Nyseth Brehm. 2011. “Why the Underutilization of Child Rights in Global Mobilization? The Cases of Female Genital Cutting Practices and User Fees for Education.” Human Rights: New Possibilities/New Problems, edited by Austin Sarat. Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing.
- Boyle, Elizabeth Heger, and Amelia Corl. 2010. "Law and Culture in a Global Context: Interventions to Eradicate Female Genital Cutting." Annual Review of Law & Social Science 6:195-215.
- Faculty Mentoring Award, Sociology Department, University of Minnesota, 2011, 1998.