Prof Cesare Casarino
Cultural Studies& Comp. Lit
206 Nich Hall
216 Pillsbury Dr SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Literature, Duke University, 1994.
- B.A: Critical Theory, Brandeis University, 1988.
- I.B.: United World College of South East Asia, 1984.
- modern and contemporary continental philosophy
- nineteenth- and twentieth-century comparative literatures
- european cinemas
- literary theory
- theories of gender and sexuality
- literary and visual cultures of HIV/AIDS
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Spinoza and The Twentieth Century
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Karl Marx
- CSCL 5910 - Neorealism and the Cinema
- CL/CSDs 8910 - Theories of the (Cinematic) Image
- CL/CSDS 8910 - AIDS, Philosophy, and the Question of Form
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Ecce Queer: Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality and the Futures of Queer Theory
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Late Philosophy: The Late Writings of Gilles Deleuze and Michel Foucault
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Lacan, Deleuze
- CL/CSDS - The 1850s: Melville, Whitman, Marx, Baudelaire
- In Praise of the Common. Casarino, Cesare, Antonio Negri, University of Minnesota Press, Co-Author, 2008.
- Modernity at Sea: Melville, Marx, Conrad in Crisis. Casarino, Cesare, University of Minnesota Press, Author, 2002.
- Marxism Beyond Marxism. Casarino, Cesare, Rebecca Karl, Saree Makdisi, Routledge, Co-Editor, 1996.
- Sexual Difference Beyond Life and Death; or, Feminism and the Biopolitical Turn: Casarino, Cesare, Angelaki, 17 (2) , 2012.
- Marx before Spinoza: Casarino, Cesare, University of Minnesota Press, Spinoza Now, 179-234, 2011.
- Three Theses on the Life-Image (Deleuze, Cinema, Biopolitics) : Casarino, Cesare, Stanford University Press, Releasing the Image: From Literature to New Media, 156-168, 2011.
- The Southern Answer: Pasolini, Universalism, Decolonization: Casarino, Cesare, Critical Inquiry, 36 (4) 673-696, 2010.
- Universalism of the Common: Casarino, Cesare, Diacritics, 39 (4) 163-177, 2009.
- Can the Subaltern Confess? Pasolini, Gramsci, Foucault, and the Deployment of Sexuality: Casarino, Cesare, Stanford University Press, The Rhetoric of Sincerity, 121-143, 2009.
- The Simulacrum of AIDS: Casarino, Cesare, Parallax, 11 (35) 60-72, 2005.
- Pasolini in the Desert: Casarino, Cesare, Angelaki, 9 (1) 97-102, 2004.
- Gomorrahs of the Deep; or, Melville, Foucault, and the Question of Heterotopia: Casarino, Cesare, Arizona Quarterly, 51(4) 1-25, 1995.
- Oedipus Exploded: Pasolini and the Myth of Modernization: Casarino, Cesare, October, 59 27-47, 1992.
- Residency Fellowship, University of California Humanties Research Institute, 2009
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2008
- Single-Semester Research Leave, University of Minnesota, 2006
- Faculty Summer Research Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2003
- Sabbatical Supplement, Graduate School, University of Minnesota, 2001
- Grant-in-Aid of Research, Graduate School, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2000
- Faculty Summer Research Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2000
- McKnight Summer Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2000