Anna K Clark
Educational Background & Specialties
- history of sexuality
- gender analysis
- British and European history
- The British Empire
- history of women
- Irish history
- Hist 3691W - The British Empire
- History of Sexuality in Europe
- Hist 3211
Research & Professional Activities
- Editor, Journal of British Studies: Editor of foremost American British Studies Journal, published 4 times a year, with 7 articles and dozens of book reviews per issue , Jan. 2005 - Jan. 2010
- Resident Faculty Director: UNCC Study Abroad Program, Kingston University , 1997 - 1998
- Interim Director: Center for Advanced Feminist Studies, University of Minnesota , Spring 2002
- Editorial Board: Journal of the History of Sexuality , 1996
- Chair: CLA Faculty Assembly , 2001 - 2002
- Chair: CLA Executive Committee , 2001 - 2002
- Rage against the Machine: Individual Rights, Biopolitics in Britain and its Empire: This project is about resistance to state discipline in the 19th century Victorian liberalism asserted the importance of individualism, but those who were not seen as self-sufficient were to be disciplined in institutions such as the workhouse. Reformers and radicals criticized these institutions for reducing people to cogs in the machine, and developed different understandings of individual rights to articulate their critiques. This project looks at workhouses in Ireland, Maori land rights and socialism in New Zealand, the temperance movement in New Zealand and Liverpool, and hospital reform in Bombay and Christchurch., 2012 - 2017
- Desire: The History of European Sexuality. Clark, Anna, Routledge, Author, 2008.
- Scandal: The Sexual Politics of the British Constitution. Clark, Anna, Princeton University Press, 2004.
- The Struggle for the Breeches: Gender and the Making of the British Working Class. Clark, Anna, Berkeley: University of California Press, Author, 1995.
- iWild Workhouse Girls in 19th Century Ireland: Clark, Anna, Journal of Social History, 39 389-409., 2005.
- Anna Clark and Aaron Windel. "The Early Roots of Liberal Imperialism: "The science of a legislator" in eighteenth-century India: Clark, Anna, Aaron Windel, Johns Hopkins University Press, Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History, 14 online, 2013. Link
- James Hinton and Victorian Individuality: Polygamy and the Sacrifice of the Self: Clark, Anna, Victorian Studies, 54 35-61, 2011.
- Samuel Russell Chair in the Humanities, 2005 - 2011
- Scholar of the College, 2006
- McKnight Faculty Summer Research Grant, University of Minnesota, 2000
- Research Fellow in the European Enlightenment, Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities, University of Edinburgh, Summer 1998
- Huntington Library Fellowship, 2002 - 2003