Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Modern Thought and Literature, Stanford University, 1988.
- contemporary poetry and poetics
- cutlural studies
- American poetry from 1940
- diaspora studies
- cultural poetics
- ethnicity and ethnography
- experimental writing
- literature of trauma
- marginalized literatures
- mass/popular culture
- Modern poetry
- Contemporary African American Poetry
- EngL 8621 - Seminar on Writing for Publication
- Advanced Workshop in Poetry (Creative Writing)
- Women Experimental Poets
- The San Francisco Renaissance
- Poetry Writing: Trauma, Play, Experiment (Creative Writing)
- Contemporary American Poetry
- Writing the Body Politic(s)
- Unfinishing Your Work
- EngL 3009 - Introduction to Modern Literary Theory
- Poetry and Politics in Our Time
- Weird Books by Women
- Poetry as Cultural Critique
- Queer Poetry
- Jewish American Word Art: Gertrude Stein, Allen Ginsberg, Lenny Bruce
- Bob Dylan
- American Poetry Since 1900
- Diaspora Poetics
- Writing/Life/History: Creative Writing and Cultural Studies
- Beat Sensibilities
Research & Professional Activities
- Editorial Board, American Literature: 1998 - 2000
- Jewish Cultural Studies Discussion Group Executive Committee: 1996 - 2000
- Primary planner and organizer, Cross-Cultural Poetics Conference: 1996 - 1997
- Contributing Editor, Cross-Cultural Poetics: 1995 - present
- Post-literary 'America:' from Bagel Shop Jazz to Micropoetries. Damon, Maria, University of Iowa Press, Author, 2011.
- Poetry and Cultural Studies: A Reader. Damon, Maria, Ira Livingston, Illinois University Press, Author, 2009.
- pleasureTEXTpossession.. Damon, Maria, Zasterle Press, Co-Author, 2005. Link
- Literature Nation. Damon, Maria, Bedford, Co-Author, 2003. Link
- "Electronic Poetry Assay: Diaspora, Silliness and "Gender": Damon, Maria, Cybertext Yearbook, Author.
- "Writing, Social Science and Ethnicity in Gertrude Stein and Certain Others." : Damon, Maria, New York University Press, 2001.
- "Was That 'Different,' 'Dissident' or 'Dissonant'? Poetry (n) the Public Spear: Slams, Open Readings, and Dissident Traditions." : Damon, Maria, Oxford University Press, 1998.
- "Jazz-Jews, Jive and Gender: Ethnic Anxiety and the Politics of Jazz Argot." . Damon, Maria, University of Minnesota Press, Author, 1996.
- Avant-garde or Borderguard: (Latino) Identity in Poetry. Damon, Maria, Author, Fall 1998.
- "'Unmeaning Jargon'/ Uncanonized Beatitude: Bob Kaufman, Poet.": Damon, Maria, University of Alabama Press, South Atlantic Quarterly, 1998.
- "Post-literary Poetry, Counterperformance, and Micropoetries." Class Issues: Pedagogy, Cultural Studies, and the Public Sphere: Damon, Maria, New York University Press, 1997.
- The Dark End of the Street: Margins in American Vanguard Poetry. Damon, Maria, University of Minnesota Press, Author, 1993. Link
- Imagine Fund Grant, University of Minnesota, 2009 - 2012
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Post-baccalaureate, Professional, Graduate and Professional Education; Induction into Academy of Distinguished Teachers , 2007
- Faculty Summer Research Stipend, University of Minnesota, 2000
- McKnight Endowment for the Arts and Humanities Grant
- McKnight Matching Funds for Summer Research, 2000