Educational Background & Specialties
- M.F.A. : University of Iowa, 1970.
- personal essay
- short fiction and poetry
- memoir and autobiography
- creative writing
- contemporary American poetry and fiction, especially the short story and the novel
- Heroic Poetics
- EngW 5210 - Topics in Advanced Literary Nonfiction
- EngW 5310 Reading as Writers (The Memoir)
- History in a Personal Voice
- Reading Across Genres
- Contemporary American Poets
- Introduction to Fiction Writing
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- First Person Singular
- The Florist's Daughter. Hampl, Patricia, Harcourt, Author, 2007.
- Blue Arabesque: A Search for the Sublime. Hampl, Patricia, Harcourt, Author, 2006.
- I Could Tell You Stories: Sojourns in the Land of Memory.. Hampl, Patricia, W.W. Norton and Co, 1999.
- Virgin Time. Hampl, Patricia, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1992.
- Spillville. Hampl, Patricia, Milkweed Editions, 1987.
- Resort and Other Poems. Hampl, Patricia, Houghton Mifflin, 1983.
- A Romantic Education. Hampl, Patricia, Houghton Mifflin, 1981.
- Woman Before an Aquarium. Hampl, Patricia, University of Pittsburph Press, 1978.
- Burning Bright, anthology of sacred poetry (Judaism, Christianity, Islam). Ed. Patricia Hampl. Ballantine, 1995.
- The St. Paul Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Co-ed. Patricia Hampl. Introduction by Patricia Hampl. Saint Paul: Borealis Books, 2004.
- Virgin Time. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1992. Paperback, Ballantine, 1993.
- Minnesota Book Award, Memoir, The Florist's Daughter, 2008
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2007
- University of Minnesota, Ruth Christie Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching of English, 2002
- University of Minnesota, All-University Award for Outstanding Graduate and Professional Teaching; Designation as Distinguished Graduate Professor, 2001
- Regents Professor
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship (for prose)
- Guggenheim Fellowship
- Distinguished Achievement Award (from The Western Literature Association at their 36th annual conference), October 2001
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship (for poetry)
- Pushcart Prize (for "The Bill Collector's Vacation")
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1988
- Finalist, National Book Critics Circle Awards (for I Could Tell You Stories.)
- Fulbright Scholar Award
- Honorary Doctorate, University of St. Thomas
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship
- College of Liberal Arts Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1985
- Minnesota Book Award (for the short story, "The Summer House," published as a book by Minnesota Center for Book Arts), 2000
- MacArthur Fellowship, 1990 - 1995
- McKnight Distinguished University Professor