Prof Richard Leppert
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Musicology, Indiana University, 1973.
- M.M.: Musicology, Indiana University, 1969.
- B.A.: Music, English Literature, Moorhead State College, 1966.
- B.A.: German Literature, Moorhead State College, 1966.
- art history
- critical theory
- cultural studies
- discourse theory
- Frankfurt School
- post-structuralist sociology of popular and high culture
- Theodor W. Adorno
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Adorno/Aesthetic Theory
- CL/CSDS 8910 - Adorno
- CSDS 8910 - Imagery, Desire, & Power
- CSDS 8910 - Music as Political Discourse
- CL/CSDS - The Enlightenment: Society, Subjectivity, Desire
- CSDS 8002 - Modernity, Enightnenment and Theoretical Critique
- CSDS 5910 - Radical Music, Aesthetics, & the Dialectics of Modernity
- CSCL - Music as Discourse
- CSCL 3458 - The Body and the Politics of Representation
- CSCL 3422 - Culture & the Production of Modern Identity, 1750-1900
- CSCL 3421 - Culture & the Production of Modern Identity, 1600-1750
- CSCL 5666 Film Music (Theory, History, Practice)
- Aesthetic Technologies of Modernity, Subjectivity, & Nature (Opera - Orchestra - Phonograph - Film). Leppert, Richard, University of California Press, Author, 2015.
- Sound Judgment: Selected Essays. Leppert, Richard, Ashgate Press, Author, 2007.
- Beyond the Soundtrack: Representing Music in Cinema. Leppert, Richard, Daniel Goldmark, Lawrence Kramer and Richard Leppert, University of California Press, Co-Editor, 2007.
- The Nude: The Cultural Rehtoric of the Body in the Art of Western Modernity. Leppert, Richard, Westview Press, Author, 2007.
- Theodor W. Adorno: Essays in Music. Leppert, Richard, (editor), University of California Press, 2002.
- Art and the Committed Eye: The Cultural Functions of Imagery. Leppert, Richard, Westview/HarperCollins, 1996.
- The Sight of Sound: Music, Representation, and the History of the Body. Leppert, Richard, University of California Press, 1993.
- Music and Image: Domesticity, Ideology and Socio-Cultural Formation in 18th-Century England. Leppert, Richard, Cambridge University Press, 1988.
- Music and Society: The Politics of Composition, Performance and Reception. Leppert, Richard, Richard Leppert and Susan McClary, Cambridge University Press, Co-Editor, 1987.
- Arcadia at Versailles. Leppert, Richard, Swets and Zeitlinger, 1978.
- The Theme of Music in Flemish Paintings of the Seventeenth Century. Leppert, Richard, Musikverlag Emil Katzbichler, 1977.
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers, University of Minnesota
- Regents' Professor. University of Minnesota Board of Regents, 2007
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Post-Baccalaureate, Graduate & Professional Education, 2006
- Fesler-Lambert Professor of Humanities, 2004 - 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa National Scholar, 2004 - 2005
- Samuel Russell Distinguished Professor of Humanities, 2001 - 2004
- American Council of Learned Societies, Senior Fellowship, 1999 - 2000
- College of Liberal Arts Scholar of the College, University of Minnesota, 1995
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Senior Fellowship for Independent Study and Research, 1986 - 1987
- John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship, 1979 - 1980
- Morse Amoco/Alumni Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1978