Mary Jo Maynes
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: History, University of Michigan, 1977.
- B.A.: History, University of Pennsylvania, 1971.
- European social history
- history of the family
- the family in global history
- history of female labor in European textile industries
- personal narratives
- history of childhood, youth, girlhood
- Hist 1/3000w - The History of the Family from 10,000 BCE to the Present
- Hist 3960 GLOS 3900 GER 3510 - Berlin as a Site of History
- Hist 3615/5735 - Modern European Women’s History
- Hist 5720 - Society and Politics in Modern Europe
- Hist 5960 - Teaching Global Cities as Sites of History
- Hist 8025 - The Politics of Historical Memory
- Hist 5980 - Topics in Comparative Women's History: Gender/Genre/Politics - TransAtlantic
Research & Professional Activities
- Co-editor: Gender & History , 2013 - 2018
- Member, Board of Editors: American Historical Review , 2007 - 2010
- President: Social Science History Association , November 2003 - November 2004
- Chair, Department of History: July 2003 - June 2006
- Vice-president, President-elect, Conference group on Central European History, American Historical Association affiliate: 1998 - 2000
- Director of Graduate Studies: Graduate Program in History , June 2000 - June 2003
- European Girlhood and Female Selfhood in the Age of Nascent Liberalism: book in progresss
- The Family: A World History. Maynes, Mary Jo, Family: A World History (New York: Oxford University Press, 2012) [with Ann Waltner]., Oxford University Press , Author, 2012.
- “Girlhood in Modern European History. (Proto-)Industrialisation, Consumption, Marriage, and Selfhood, ca. 1750-1900.“: Maynes, Mary Jo, "European history – gender history". Themenportal Europí¤ische Geschichte , 2009. Link
- Telling Stories: Analysis of Personal Narratives in the Social Sciences and History. Maynes, Mary Jo, Mary Jo Maynes, Jennifer Pierce and Barbara Laslett, Cornell University Press, Co-Author, 2008.
- Maynes, Mary Jo. "Age as a Category of Historical Analysis: History, Agency, and Narratives of Childhood,." Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth I:1 (2008):
- Secret Gardens, Satanic Mills: Placing Girls in European History. Maynes, Mary Jo, Mary Jo Maynes, Birgitte, Soland, Christina Benninghaus, Indiana University Press, Co-Editor, 2005.
- "Gender, Labor, and the History of Globalization: European Spinsters in the International Textile Industry, 1750-1880,=". Maynes, Mary Jo, Author, 2004.
- Taking the Hard Road: Life Course in French and German Workers' Autobiographies in the Era of Industrialization. Maynes, Mary Jo, University of North Carolina Press, 1995.
- Spector Truax Women’s Leadership Award., 2005
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, 2001 - 2002
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1999