Educational Background & Specialties
- A.B. magna cum laude: English, Harvard College, 1963.
- M.A.: English, Yale University, 1964.
- Birkbeck College, University of London, 1965–66 (Fulbright fellow).
- Ph.D.: English, Yale University, 1967.
- Victorian studies
- book history
- pragmatics, literature, and the law
- digital humanities
- RECENT COURSES: :
- EngL 3007H, Shakespeare
- EngL 3010H, Studies in Poetry: American Poetry from Phillis Wheatley to Now
- ENGL 3161H, Victorian Literatures and Cultures
- EngL 3960W, Senior Seminar: The Image on the Page
- EngL 4721, Electronic Text
- EngL 4722, Alphabet to Internet: History of Writing Technologies
- EngL 5150, Readings in 19th-Century Literature and Culture
- EngL 8170, Seminar in Nineteenth-century British Literature and Culture
- EngL 8510, Studies in Criticism and Theory: Digital Humanities
Research & Professional Activities
- Vice chair, Faculty Consultative Committee: 2012 - 2013
- Member, National Board of Directors, University of Minnesota Alumni Association: 2012 - 2013
- Co-convener, Digital Humanities 2.0 (Institute for Advanced Study): 2011 - 2013
- President, Dictionary Society of North America: 2009 - 2011
- Member, Publications Committee, Dictionary Society of North America: 2007 - 2016
- Chair: Department of English, University of Minnesota , 2003 - 2006
- Member, editorial board, Dictionaries: Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America , 2000 - present
- Associate Dean for Faculty and Research: College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota , 1996 - 2000
- Director of Graduate Studies: Department of English, University of Minnesota , 1983 - 1988
- Professor of English, University of Minnesota: 1982 - present
- Associate Professor of English, University of Minnesota: 1973 - 1982
- Member, editorial board, Centrum: Working Papers of the Minnesota Center for Language, Style, and Literary Theory, 1973–83; editor, 1973–77; co-editor, 1979–83
- Assistant Professor of English, University of Minnesota: 1972 - 1973
- Assistant Professor of English, The Johns Hopkins University: 1967 - 1972
- SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- "Familiar Quotations." Harvard Library Bulletin, n.s. 14 (2003): 13-53.
- "An Imagined World: The Imperial Gazetteer." Imperial Co-histories: National Identities and the British and Colonial Press. Ed. Julie Codell. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2003. 45-67.
- "Nathan Bailey." Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. 60 vols. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004. 3: 268-70.
- "The Number Trade at Blackie and Son." Publishing History 55 (2004): 37-67.
- "Dead Letters: Wills and Poems." Texas Law Review 60 (1982): 507-25. Translated into Danish by Morten Visby as de dokumenter: Testamenter og digte." Lov og litteratur (Law and Literature). Ed. Karen-Margrethe Simonsen, Helle Porsdam, and Henrick Skov Nielsen. Aarhus, Denmark: Aarhus Univiversitetsforlog, 2007. 155-87.
- "Grafting A Christmas Carol." SEL: Studies in English Literature 48 (2008): 813-27. Reprinted in Victorian Hybridities: Cultural Anxiety and Formal Innovation. Ed. U. C. Knoepflmacher. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2010. 73-85.
- "Illustrating Webster." Dictionaries 31 (2010): 1-45.
- "Definition and Depiction." Word and Image 26 (2010): 244-72.
- "Learning from LibriVox." Audiobooks, Literature, and Sound Studies. Ed. Matthew Rubery. Routledge, 2011: 199-215.
- "Reading and Writing the Law: Macaulay in India." Law and Language. Ed. Michael Freeman and Fiona Smith. Current Legal Issues 15. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013. 187-200.
- “College English in India: The First Textbook.” Victorian Literature and Culture 43 (2014): 553–72.
- “Dickens’s First Effusion.” Dickens Quarterly 31 (2014): 285–97.
- “Digital Dictionaries: Introduction.” Dictionaries 35 (2014): 272–74.
- "Re: Search and Close Reading." Debates in the Digital Humanities 2016. Ed. Matthew K. Gold and Lauren F. Klein. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2016. 118-38.
- President's Award for Outstanding Service, University of Minnesota, 2014
- Scholar of the College, CLA, University of Minnesota, 1990 - 1993
- Grants-in-aid, sabbatical leave supplements, and Imagine Fund awards, University of Minnesota, various years
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 1977 - 1978
- Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowship, 1966 - 1967
- Fulbright Fellowship, Birkbeck College, University of London, 1965 - 1966