Prof Shirley N Garner
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: English, Stanford University, 1972.
- Renaissance literature
- feminist studies in literature
- feminist psychoanalytic literary theory and criticism
- Reading Shakespeare
- Feminist Criticism of Shakespeare
- Love and Death in Shakespeare
- Shakespeare and Marlowe
- Shakespearean Tragedy and Gender
- Romantic Love in English and American Literature
- Writing and Publishing for English Graduate Students
- EngL 3242 - Shakespeare
- Women in Shakespeare
- British and American Women Writers: Silence and Breaking Silence as a Feminist and Literary Tradition
- Politics in Sixteenth-Century English Literature
- Autobiographies of Women
- Mothers and Daughters in English and American Literature
- Tudor and Elizabethan Poetry
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair, Department of English, University of Minnesota:
- Loft Literary Center, Board Member:
- NEH Panel on long-term editing projects: 2000
- Is Feminism Dead? Theory in Practice 200. Garner, Shirley, New York: New York University Press, Author, 2000.
- Seeing Together: Friendship Between the Sexes in English Writing: Garner, Shirley, University of Virginia, Mill to Woolf, 21 , 1999.
- Antifeminism in the Academy. Garner, Shirley, New York and London: Routledge, Author, 1996.
- "Shakespeare in My Time and Place." Shakespearean Tragedy and Gender. Garner, Shirley, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, Co-Editor, 1996.
- Shakespearean Tragedy and Gender. Garner, Shirley, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, Author, 1996.
- "Transforming Antifeminist Culture in the Academy." Antifeminism in the Academy. Garner, Shirley, Routledge, Co-Editor, 1995.
- Essential Readings in Theory, Reinterpretation, and Application. Garner, Shirley, Boulder, San Francisco, Oxford: Westview Press, Author, 1995.
- Breaking Silence: The Woman Warrior." The Intimate Critique: Autobiographical Literary Criticism.: Garner, Shirley, Duke University Press, 1993.
- Interpreting Women's Lives: Feminist Theory and Personal Narratives. Garner, Shirley, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, Author, 1989.
- The (M)Other Tongue: Essays in Feminist Psychoanalytic Interpretation. Garner, Shirley, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, Author, 1985.
- Mullen/Spector/Truax Women’s Leadership Award, 2007
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers, University of Minnesota, 1999
- President's Award for Outstanding Service, University of Minnesota, 1999
- Morse Amoco/Alumni Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1982