Auditions, Pre-Screening & Interviews
The following programs require a formal entrance audition:
- Collaborative Piano & Coaching (MM, DMA)
- Conducting (MM, DMA)
- Instrumental Performance (MM, DMA)
- Voice Performance (MM, DMA)
Due to COVID-19, vocal and instrumental performance auditions will be conducted via video recording. Recordings are due with the application, by the application deadline (January 15, 2021 for Fall 2021 admission)
Video Submission Guidelines
- Videos must be submitted by the application deadline via the Digital Uploads section on your application to the University of Minnesota.
- Videos must be made within the past 12 months (from the date of recording)
- Applicants may use the same selections again for the live audition, provided the selections meet the audition repertoire requirements below.
- Each selection must be performed from beginning to end in one take. No editing is allowed.
Please review the audition requirements below to ensure you are preparing the required repertoire and contact the faculty of your instrument/area with any repertoire questions.
Formal entrance interviews are required for all programs in Music Education (MM, PhD, Post-Bacc) and Music Therapy (MA, MA with Equivalency, PhD). Interviews for the Music Education (MM), Music Therapy (MA, and MA with Equivalency) and Post-Bacc Music Education Licensure Certificate will be conducted remotely via Zoom on the following dates:
- Saturday, December 5, 2020
- Saturday, January 23, 2021
- Saturday, February 6, 2021
You will select your preferred interview date on your application. The interview will take place between 8:00 am – 8:00 pm Central Standard Time. Applicants will be asked to submit a completed music education/music therapy interview profile at the time of the interview.
Finalists for the Music Education (PhD) or Music Education - Music Therapy Emphasis (PhD) will be contacted directly by faculty to arrange a separate interview.
Please contact the faculty of the program to which you are applying for further interview details.