Religious Studies, Race, and Justice
In a new initiative, the Religious Studies Program is gathering resources related to the engagement of religious studies (as a field) with race, diversity, and justice issues. Here is a preliminary collection of resources.
- Blum, Edward J., Tracy Fessenden, Prema Kurien, and Judith Weisenfeld, eds. (2009) “Forum: American Religion and ‘Whiteness.’” *Religion and American Culture*. 19, no.1. (Winter): 1-35. DOI: 10.1525/rac.2009.19.1.1
- Blum, Edward J., and Paul Harvey. (2014) *The Color of Christ: The Son of God and the Saga of Race in America*. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- Beliso-De Jesús, Aisha M. (2018) “Confounded Identities: A Meditation on Race, Feminism, and Religious Studies in Times of White Supremacy.”* Journal of the American Academy of Religion*. Vol. 86, no. 1 (June): 307-340.
- Dutta, Mohan J. (2020) Whiteness, internationalization, and erasure: decolonizing futures from the Global South, Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 17:2, 228-235, DOI: 10.1080/14791420.2020.1770825
- Flores, Lisa A. & Logan Rae Gomez (2020) Disciplinary containment: whiteness and the academic scarcity narrative, Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 17:2, 236-242, DOI: 10.1080/14791420.2020.1770818
- Gerbner, Katharine. (2018) *Christian Slavery: Conversion and Race in the Protestant Atlantic World*. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Harvey, Paul, and Kathryn Gin Lum, eds. *The Oxford Handbook of Religion and Race in America*. New York: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Johnson, Sylvester A., and Edward E. Curtis, eds. (2015) “Roundtable: Black Lives Matter? Africana Religious Responses to State Violence.” *Journal of Africana Religion* 3, no. 4 (October): 442-515.
- Nye, Malory. (2019) “Race and Religion: Postcolonial Formations of Power and Whiteness.” *Method and Theory in the Study of Religion*. 31, no. 3. (June): 210-237.
- Joshi, Khyati Y. (2020) White Christian Privilege: *The Illusion of Religious Equality in America*. New York: New York University Press.
- Schneider, Rachel C. and Sohpie Bjork-James. (2020). “Whither Whiteness and Religion? Implications for Theology and the Study of Religion.” JAAR 88, no. 1 (March): 175-199.
- Yukich, Grace, and Penny Edgell, eds. (2020)* Religion is Raced: Understanding American Religion in the Twenty-First Century*. New York: New
- York University Press.
- College of Liberal Arts, UMN. Liberal arts expertise around issues of race, justice, dignity, and respect.
- Nye, Malory. (2018) “Whiteness, religion, and modernity.” Religion Bites. August 28.
- “Talking about Race.” National Museum of African American History and Culture.
- Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning in Theology and Religion
- UMN Racial Justice Resources
- Penny Edgell, “Learning About and Resisting Racism: Some Resources”
- Sarah Bellamy talks with Black Panther activist Erika Huggins (20 minutes)
- "White Surprise: White People Don't Know about Racism?"
- "Law, Religious Racism, and Religions of the African Diaspora."
- "Reflections on Religious Racism."