Faculty Summer Writing Retreat
The Center for RIDGS (Race, Indigeneity, Disability, Gender, and Sexuality) Studies is hosting a writing retreat for faculty members engaged in RIDGS work for one week of concentrated writing time. We will prioritize faculty in RIDGS departments/units. We encourage applications from faculty members working towards publication.
The writing retreat will span Monday, May 29 – Friday, June 2, 2023, and will take place at the University of Minnesota’s Itasca Biological Station on Lake Itasca. From Monday through Friday, we will meet from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM, with the remainder of the day reserved for leisure activities. RIDGS will cover all transportation, lodging, and meal expenses.
For more information about the lodging at the Biological Station, visit this website. The cabins are very nice and comfy, although please be advised that participants may have to sleep two to a room.
- Attend the retreat for the entire week
- Avoid the internet or email during the working hours of the retreat
- Acutely focus on writing with sustained writing time
- Actively participate in writing warm-ups and facilitations
1. Complete the RIDGS Faculty Writing Retreat Application Form - Summer 2023 Form.
2. Prepare an approximately one-page abstract or description of your current writing project.
3. Prepare a 200-400 word plan of what you intend to accomplish during the retreat. Be as specific as possible. Include details about which sections of your writing you will work on, what exactly you will do as part of that work, and what quantitative changes you intend to have made by the end of the retreat.
4. Please combine all of these documents into one PDF in the following order:
- Application Form
Name the file according to this naming convention: lastname_RIDGS Writing Retreat Application 2023. Email that PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 3 at noon.
The RIDGS Faculty Writing Retreat submission deadline is March 3 at noon.
Applicants will need to download and submit the RIDGS Faculty Writing Retreat Application Form - Summer 2023.
For questions, please email email@example.com.