Statistical Consulting Center
390 Ford Hall
48 McNeal Hall
295L Animal Science/Veterinary Medicine
Email Noel Schumacher to learn about our rates
The Statistical Consulting Center provides statistical support to improve research in all areas at the University of Minnesota. You are not required to have any statistical background in order to collaborate with us. All you need is to be a University of Minnesota faculty, staff, or student. Otherwise, we are thrilled to work with you on any range of scientific and educational research projects. While we cannot assist with classwork or non-University projects, we can help you:
- design experiments and surveys
- select and perform appropriate analyses
- interpret results
- write about statistical methods and results
Common projects include:
- grant proposals
- journal articles
- student theses
- responses to reviewer comments
We listen to your scientific needs and work with you to translate them into statistical questions and find solutions that are reasonable and understandable. We have worked on thousands of projects with University researchers, including everything from questions that can be answered on the spot to in-depth research projects that take months or years of collaboration, and we look forward to working with you.
The Statistical Consulting Center is a fee-for-service organization within the School of Statistics.
Schedule an Appointment
Send our team an email to schedule an appointment
We only provide in-person consultations made by appointment. Walk-in, telephone, and email consultations are not available.
To make an appointment, please email our team with the following info:
- subject: statistical consulting appointment
- your full name, department (avoiding abbreviations), and university affiliation (faculty, student, or staff)
- the name of your advisor or supervising faculty member (if student or staff)
- the fund number to charge (unless CVM), the name of the person authorizing the charge, and the name and email of your department financial staff person
- a brief summary of your research and statistical issues (if you also need assistance implementing the analysis in software, please also indicate your software preference)
- what level of assistance you are looking for (just advice and guidance? some help with analysis during meetings? us to do analysis and give you a written report?)
- preferred location (McNeal Hall or Animal Science/Veterinary Medicine in St. Paul, or Ford Hall in Minneapolis)
We usually make appointments about a week ahead, so don't wait until the last minute to get help!
Recognize Our Work
It is always appropriate to recognize the role of the Statistical Consulting Center in your research. This can range from a simple acknowledgement to co-authorship. Clients generally only consider co-authorship when one of our consultants has provided significant input to the final research product. We will not consider co-authorship as a substitute for funding our services. Clients who recognize our work through statements of acknowledgement often use the following:
“The Statistical Consulting Center at the University of Minnesota, and in particular [name the consultant], helped with the design and analysis of this experiment [or study or project].”