UMTAD Newsletter: October 19, 2020
VIRTUAL AUDITION NOTICE
*Open to any UMN student. You do not have to be a BA Theatre Arts major to audition!
Details of the audition, callbacks, rehearsal process, and performances are described in the sign up links. Please read all of the information before you sign up to audition.
Contact Christine Swartwout at email@example.com with questions.
2020 BFA Realism Repertory
Thank you to all who attended the 2020 BFA Acting Realism Repertory, performed by the 3rd and 4th year University of Minnesota / Guthrie Theater Acting Program companies!
The 2020 Realism Repertory included performances of:
Kin by Bathsheba Doran, directed by Addie Gorlin.
Heresy of Love by Helen Edmundson, directed by AnaSofía Villanueva.
Trouble In Mind by Alice Childress, directed by James A. Williams.
Our Community Highlights section aims to share a taste of upcoming creative projects by students, alumni, faculty, and staff of the Theatre Arts & Dance Department. Current students, alumni, faculty, and staff are encouraged to share their projects by completing this form.
- Andrea Reynolds (Executive and Administrative Office Specialist) Composer for Flip the Script: The Great Divide IV at the Pillsbury House Theater (Minneapolis) Sept. 25-Dec. 1. Podcast series.
- Antonio Duke (BFA Acting '17) Playwright & performer of Missing Mississippi Moons. Presented with Selma '65 by Catherine Filloux. Production by The Combustible Company and Vegas Theatre. Both plays will be presented together from Oct. 23-30, only on BroadwayOnDemand.com.
Duke is discussing the play in A Conversation with Playwrights Antonio Duke and Catherine Filloux on Oct. 22 at 6pm. Free & open to public via Zoom.
- Berit Ahlgren (Former Instructor, Dance) Creator & performer in Give Ear at The Cowles Center (Minneapolis) March 19-20 at 7:30pm. In-Person & Virtual.
- Carl Flink & Black Label Movement (Program Director & Professor, Dance) Performing a short dance film titled How Do We Touch, When Touch Is Gone for TEDxMinneapolis' virtual event, "Adaptation" on Oct. 23 at 7-9pm CST. Virtual, ticketed.
- Darrius Strong (Teaching Specialist, Dance) Creator & performer in H Y B R I D at The Cowles Center (Minneapolis) March 5-6 at 7:30pm. In-Person & Virtual.
- Emmeline Chuy (BFA Acting '21) Writer & actor of the short film Mud Flower by Reel Eyes Productions. Screening virtually in winter/spring 2021. Donations graciously accepted.
- Kym Longhi (Senior Teaching Specialist, Theatre) Director & producer of Selma '65 & Missing Mississippi Moons, a streamed duet of solo performances combining Missing Mississippi Moons by Antonio Duke (BFA Acting '17) and Selma 65 by Catherine Filloux. Production by The Combustible Company and Vegas Theatre. Both plays will be presented together from Oct. 23-30, only on BroadwayOnDemand.com.
- Natalee Merola (BA Theatre Arts '21) Voice Actor in Food People. Pilot episode available December 2020 online.
- Penelope Freeh (Instructor, Dance) Creator & performer in Bring it Down Under Your Feet at The Cowles Center (Minneapolis) March 12-13 at 7:30pm. In-Person & Virtual.
- Talvin Wilks (Assistant Professor, Theatre) Moderating A Conversation with Playwrights Antonio Duke and Catherine Filloux on Oct. 22 at 6pm. Free & open to public via Zoom.
- UMTAD Student Peers & Reps have created The Peercast available on streaming platforms. New episodes every Tuesday. Podcast series.
A Message from USITT - University of Minnesota Student Chapter
Welcome welcome to the one, the only, University of Minnesota USITT Student Chapter! Hopefully by this point you’ve heard quite a bit about us, but if you haven’t, we are your theatre tech club on campus. We’re here to advocate, educate, and network both in the department and with professionals in the Twin Cities. We also foster community and connections among peers and professionals within the university and the industry. Our officer team includes Josh Koser (President), Alexa Lewis (Vice President), Lila Sell (Treasurer), Sarah Hasker (Secretary), and Angie Gagliano (Events Officer).
At the moment, we are coming up with new session ideas more related to our current world. Sessions we have coming up are "Where Are They Now? Meetings With Alumni", "A Zoom Show Roundtable" learn how other theatres are handling zoom theatre, and of course our annual Resume Workshop! We meet on Tuesdays at 6pm via Zoom at this address.
Meeting passcode: UMNUSITT20
You can now view UMTAD's Fall 2020 COVID-19 Plan at z.umn.edu/UMTADCovidPlan. Our reopening plan highlights procedures put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and allow for social distancing inside our buildings.
For more on University of Minnesota's response to COVID-19, visit z.umn.edu/FallCovidPlan.
University of Minnesota Safe Campus
Please visit the Safe Campus website for University-wide news, resources for teaching and learning via alternative instruction, and archives of University system-wide messages.
College of Liberal Arts Neighborhood
Please visit the CLA Neighborhood for CLA-specific updates, info on the CLA COVID-19 Ad Hoc Committee, and archives of messages from Dean Coleman and the College of Liberal Arts.
COVID-19 Creative Resources
It is our priority to continue to assist students and community members throughout the COVID-19 pandemic by providing opportunities to access and engage with the arts, and resources that are unique to those in the creative sector. Check out our compiled list of creative resources.
Have an idea for a submission? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.