What Can I Do With a Major In American Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Connect with us in a drop-in or appointment!
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about majoring in American studies. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and American studies majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include an in-depth knowledge of American cultural, historical, societal, and political contexts; strong analytical and critical thinking skills; and the ability to reflect deeply and dialogue across issues of equity and cultural diversity.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ESC" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- HECUA internship program
- American Studies Association Employment and Fellowships
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Teach for America
- USA Jobs
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- American Alliance of Museums job board
- Job search sites from Education Minnesota
This is a small sample of programs alumni have gone onto, to find graduate programs in this field, search the Grad School Directory, Peterson's Guide, and the Chronicle of Higher Education listing of American Studies programs.
- Chronicle of Higher Education listing of American Studies programs
- MA, History and Museum Studies - Cooperstown Graduate Program, SUNY at Oneonta
- MA, American Studies - University of Amsterdam
- Plus many more!
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!