Prof Rick Mc Cormick
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: German, University of California, Berkeley, 1986.
- German film history
- German studies
- German-Jewish studies
- film studies
- film and cultural history
- Weimar film and culture
- Films by German and Austrian emigres/exiles
- post-WWII German cinema: New German Cinema, GDR cinema, feminist cinema
- Nazi cinema
- post-WWII West German literature and culture
- Ger 3604W - Introduction to German Cinema
- Ger 1601 - Fleeing Hitler: German and Austrian Filmmakers Between Europe and Hollywood
- Ger 5630 - Topics in German Cinema: Weimar Cinema
- German 5630: Sex, Politics, & Comedy: The Films of Ernst Lubitsch from Berlin to Hollywood
- German 5630: Nazi Cinema
- Ger 4622 - German Cinema Since 1945
Research & Professional Activities
- Member: German Studies Association
- Member: Women in German
- Member: Modern Language Association
- Member: Society for Cinema Studies
- Member: American Association of the Teachers of German
- Center for Jewish Studies: 2009
- Member: Center for Advanced Feminist Studies
- Associate Editor: SIGNS: Journal of Women in Culture and Society , 1992 - 1994
- Member: Film Studies Committee, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota , 1989 - 2000
- Chair: Department of German, Scandinvian & Dutch , 2009 - 2015
- Director of Graduate Studies: Germanic Studies , 2007 - 2008
- Director of Graduate Studies: Germanic Studies, University of Minnesota , 2000 - 2001
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: German and Scandinavian , 1999 - 2000
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: Department of German, Scandinavian & Dutch, University of Minnesota , 1992 - 1999
- Chair: Senate Committee on Educational Policy (SCEP) , 2005 - 2007
- Director of Honors Division: College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota , 2001- - 2007
- Chair: Council on Liberal Education, University of Minnesota , 2002 -2004
- Chair: Committee on Curriculum, Instruction, and Advising, CLA Assembly, University of Minnesota , 1997 - 2001
- Member: Center for Austrian Studies Advisory Committee, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota , 1995
- Member: Center for German and European Studies , 1999 -
- Sex, Politics, and Transnational Jewish Comedy: The Films of Ernst Lubitsch—From Berlin to Hollywood : Book project focusing on the German and American films of Ernst Lubitsch, contextualized with regard to the politics of sexuality, gender, genre, class, nationality, ethnic identity, migration, and the transnational development of the cinema., 2007
- "Ernst Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be": Guest lecture at Macalaster College, December 2012, 2015
- "Divine Decadence: Berlin in the 1920s: Guest lecture, Germanic American Institute, April 2014
- Commentator: Jewish Film Festival, St. Louis Park, MN, March 2001, 2003
- Secured CLA Scholarly Events Fund grant for Twin Cities International Film Festival: 1996
- Co-organizer with Al Milgrom, U Film Society, and Angela Greiner, Goethe Institute, Chicago: film series on "Germany After the Wall", 1993
- Panelist: "Women in Opera," Minnesota Opera, 1993
- “Screwball” (encyclopedia entry with a focus on Ernst Lubitsch).: Mc Cormick, Rick, Stuttgart: J.B. Metzler Verlag, Enzyklopaedie juedischer Geschichte und Kultur (Enclyclopedia of Jewish History and Culture), Vol. 5 402-406, 2014. Download
- Romantic Comedy and the Hitler-Stalin Pact: Billy Wilder and Ninotchka (USA 1939)" (published in Hebrew translation). : Mc Cormick, Rick, SLIL--Online Journal for History, Film, and Television (Jerusalem), VI 21-40, Winter 2012.
- “Sex, History, and Upward Mobility: Ernst Lubitsch’s Madame Dubarry/Passion, 1919.”: Mc Cormick, Rick, German Studies Review, 33.3 603-17, October 2010.
- “Desire vs. Despotism: The Politics of Sumurun (1920), Ernst Lubitsch’s ‘Oriental’ Fantasy" : Mc Cormick, Rick, Camden House: Series on Screen Cultures: German Film and the Visual, In The Many Faces of Weimar Cinema: Rediscovering Germany’s Filmic Legacy , 67-83, 2010.
- “Coming Out of the Uniform: Political and Sexual Emancipation in Leontine Sagan’s Mädchen in Uniform (1931)" .: Mc Cormick, Rick, Columbia University Press, Weimar Cinema: An Essential Guide to Classic Films of the Era, 271-89, 2009.
- Legacies of Modernism: Art and Politics in Northern Europe, 1890-1950. Mc Cormick, Rick, Co-edited with Patrizia McBride and Monika Zagar., Palgrave: Studies in European Culture, Co-Editor, 2007.
- German Essays on Film--German Library Volume 81. Mc Cormick, Rick, Alison Guenther-Pal, Continuum, 2004.
- The Carnival of Humiliation: Sex, Spectacle, and Self-Reflexivity in EA Dupont's Variety (1925). Mc Cormick, Rick, Light Motives: German Popular Film in Perspective, 2003.
- Gender and Sexuality in Weimar Modernity: Film, Literature, and New Objectivity. Mc Cormick, Rick, New York: Palgrave, 2001.
- Rape and War, Gender and Nation, Victims and Victimizers: Helke Sander's Film BeFreier und Befreite (1992): Mc Cormick, Rick, Camera Obscura, 46 , 2001.
- Gender and German Cinema: Feminist Interventions (a two-volume collection of essays on German film) . Mc Cormick, Rick, Co-edited by Sandra Frieden, Richard McCormick, Vibeke Petersen, and Melissa Vogelsang, Berg Publishers, Co-Editor, 1993.
- Politics of the Self: Feminism and the Postmodern in West German Literature and Film.. Mc Cormick, Rick, Princeton University Press., Author, 1991.
- Imagine Fund Research Grant, 2009, -10, -11
- DAAD Study Visit Research Grant for Faculty, 2009
- Faculty Travel Grant, European Studies Consortium, Summer 2003
- DAAD Study Visit Research Grant for Faculty, 1999
- McKnight Summer Fellowship, 1997
- American Council of Learned Societies Research Fellowship, 1994 - 1995
- Bush Program for Excellence in Teaching, 1991 - 1992