Dr Amil K Petrin
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Economics, University of Michigan, 1998.
- B.A. summa cum laude: Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1989.
- Industrial organization
- Applied microeconomics
- Econ 8205/8206: Applied Econometrics
- Economics 8601/8602: Industrial Organization and Government Regulation
Research & Professional Activities
- Professor: Department of Economics , 2015 - present
- Director of Graduate Studies: Department of Economics , 2015 - 2018
- Consultant: National Center for State Courts , 2014 - 2018
- Consultant: National Bank of Belgium , 2013 - present
- Associate Professor: Department of Economics , 2007 - 2014
- Research Associate: National Bureau of Economic Research , 2007 - present
- Member: Conference on Research in Income and Wealth , 2006 - present
- Associate Professor of Economics and Statistics: University of Chicago Graduate School of Business , 2002 - 2007
- Visitor, Center for the Study of Industrial Organization: Northwestern University , 2001 - 2002
- Assistant Professor of Economics and Statistics: University of Chicago Graduate School of Business , 1998 - 2002
- Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Economics: University of Michigan , 1994 - 1995
- Assistant Economist: Federal Reserve Bank of New York , 1990 - 1992
- Consultant, National Center for State Courts: 2014 - present
- Consultant, National Bank of Belgium: 2013 - present
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research: 2007 - present
- Member, Conference in Income and Wealth: 2006 - present
- Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 2019 - present
- Board of Directors: Minnesota Economics Association, 2012 - 2018
- Associate Editor: International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2009 - 2012
- U.S. Census Advisory Committee, 2009 - 2011
- “Imputation in U.S. Manufacturing Data and Its Implications for Productivity Dispersion: Petrin, Amil, Kirk White and Jerome Reiter, Review of Economics and Statistics, 100 502 - 509, 2018.
- Estimating Production Functions when Capital is Measured with Error: Petrin, Amil, Kyoo-il Kim, Suyong Song, Journal of Econometrics, 190(2) 267-279, 2016.
- Tests for Price Endogeneity in Differentiated Product Models: Petrin, Amil, Kyoo-il Kim, Journal of Econometric Methods, January 47-70, 2015.
- Exploring Reallocation’s Apparent Negative Contribution to Growth: Petrin, Amil, Mitsukuni Nishida, Saso Polanec, Journal of Productivity Analysis, April 1-24, 2013.
- Estimating Lost Output from Allocative Inefficiency, with Application to Chile and Firing Costs: Petrin, Amil, Jagadeesh Sivadasan, Review of Economics and Statistics, 95(1) 286-301, 2013.
- National Science Foundation Grant, 2012 - 2016
- Griliches Fellow (NBER National Fellow), 2002 - 2003
- Centel Foundation/Robert P. Ruess Scholar, 1999 - 2000
- Alfred P. Sloan Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 1996 - 1997