Prof John Watkins
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: English, Yale University, 1990.
- medieval and early modern diplomacy
- premodern political culture
- sovereignty and queenship
- classical and medieval origins of the Renaissance
- Mediterranean Studies
- Mediterranean Literature and Culture
- Queenship in Early Modern France and England
- Renaissance Lyric
- Elizabeth I
- Cultures of the Italian Renaissance: Florence, Rome, Venice
- Survey of British Literatures and Culture
- Milton and Tasso
- Stuart England: The Century of Revolution
- Families in Epics and Novels
- Early Modern Literature and Culture
- Early Modern Britain (History)
- British History from the Beginnings to the Glorious Revolution (History)
- The Apocalypse: A Cultural History
- After Lavinia: A Literary History of Premodern Marriage Diplomacy. Watkins, John, Cornell University Press, Author, 2017. Link
- Mediterranean Identities in the Premodern Era: Islands, Entrepôts, Empire. Co-edited with Kathryn L. Reyerson. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2014.
- Shakespeare and the Middle Ages. Co-edited with Curtis Perry. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Shakespeare’s Foreign Worlds: National and Transnational Identities in the Elizabethan Age. Watkins, John, Carole Levin, Cornell University Press, Co-Author, 2009. Link
- Representing Elizabeth in Stuart England: Literature, History, and Sovereignty. Watkins, John, Cambridge University Press, Author, 2002. Link
- The Specter of Dido: Spenser and Virgilian Epic. Watkins, John, Yale University Press, Author, 1995. Link
- ARTICLES AND CHAPTERS
- Peacemaking, Interdynastic Marriage, and the Rise of the French Novel: Watkins, John, Common Knowledge, 22.2 256-76, 2016.
- Spenser’s Monsters: A Response to Maik Goth: Watkins, John, Connotations, 20.2-3 1-9, 2010-11.
- “Marriage í la Mode 1559: Elizabeth I, Elisabeth de Valois, and the Changing Patterns of Diplomatic Marriage.“: Watkins, John, University of Nebraska Press, Queens and Power in Medieval and Early Modern England, 2009.
- “Toward a New Diplomatic History of Medieval and Early Modern Europe.“: Watkins, John, Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies , 38 1-14, 2008.
- “Spenser’s Poetry and the Apocalypse.“ Early Modern English Poetry: A Critical Companion.. Watkins, John, Oxford: Oxford University Press, Author, 2007.
- “Elizabeth Through Venetian Eyes.“ Explorations in Renaissance Culture. Watkins, John, Author, 2004.
- ““˜Old Bess in the Ruff’: Remembering Elizabeth I, 1625-1660“: Watkins, John, English Literary Renaissance, 2002.
- ““˜Out of Her Ashes May a Second Phoenix Rise’: James I and the Legacy of Elizabethan Anti-Catholicism.“: Watkins, John, Macmillan, Catholicism and Anti-Catholicism in Early Modern England , 1999.
- “The Allegorical Theatre: Moralities, Interludes, and Protestant Drama.“: Watkins, John, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge History of Medieval Literature, 1999.
- "Towards a New History of Medieval and Early Modern Diplomacy.": Watkins, John, The Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 2014 - 2015
- American Council of Learned Societies Fellowship, 2014
- McKnight Distinguished University Professorship, 2010 - present
- American Philosophical Society Sabbatical Fellowship, 2007 - 2008
- University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts Scholar of the College, 2004 - 2007
- Arthur “Red“ Motley Exemplary Teaching Award, 2006
- University of Minnesota Morse-Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education , 2004
- Ruth Christie Award for Excellence in Teaching English, 1996