Educational Background & Specialties
- Scandinavian women writers
- Norwegian language and literature
- modernism in Scandinavia
- Knut Hamsun and Dag Solstad
- feminist theory
- contemporary Norway
- Scandinavians and Their Art at the Turn of the Century
- Scandinavian Fiction from 1890 to Present
- Introduction to Scandinavia
- Images of Scandinavia in Art, Film and Literature
- Advanced Norwegian
- Women Writers of Scandinavia
Research & Professional Activities
- Director of Organizing Committee for SASS 2003: Responsible for site selection, paper selections, financial planning, session organization , Spring 2002 - June 2003
- Director, Center for Scandinavian Studies: Director and Administrator of the Center; Organizer of conferences, speakers and workshops; Community outreach , August 2001 - January 2004
- Race and ethnicity in Scandinavian literature and film: Analysis of texts written by transnational adoptees to Scandinavia, portrayal of transnation adoptees in Scandinavia, 2000 -
- Contemporary Scandinavian Literature and Culture:
- The Rhetoric of Defense in Hamsun's Paa gjengrodde stier. Zagar, Monika, Edda 3, 1999.
- Nu var hun fanget Kvinner, barn og fruktbarhet i Knut Hamsuns roman Markens grí¸de (1917): Zagar, Monika, University of Tromsí¸ Press, Proceedings from the 1999 International Hamsun Conference, 1999.
- Knut Hamsun's Taming of the Shrew - A Reading of DronningTamara: Zagar, Monika, Scandinavian Studies, 70(3) 337-357, 1998.
- Imagining the Red-Skinned Other Hamsun's Article Fra en Indianerleir. Zagar, Monika, Edda, 2001.
- Ideological Clowns: Dag Solstad - Between Modernism and Politics. Zagar, Monika, Wiener Studien zur Skandinavistik, 2002.
- How Knut Hamsun Imagined Juliane and Her Speech: Hamsun's Play Livet ivold: Zagar, Monika, Norvick Press, Proceedings from the "Gender, Power, Text: Scandinavian Culture in the Twentieth Century", 2004.
- Legacies of Modernism - Art and Politics in Northern Europe, 1890-1950. Zagar, Monika, Patrizia C. McBride, Richard W. McCormick, Palgrave Macmillan, Co-Editor, 2007.
- Knut Hamsun: The Dark Side of Literary Brilliance.. Zagar, Monika, University of Washington Press, Author, 2009.
- McKnight Summer Research Fellowship, June 1997 - August 1997
- American Scandinavian Foundation Fellowship, January 2005 - June 2005