Educational Background & Specialties
- children's tales
- critical theory of the Frankfurt School
- fairy tales for children
- German literature
- Germany, GDR
- Jewish studies
- the Brothers Grimm
- The Origins of the Follk and Fairy Tale
- Ger 3642 - The Grimms' Fairy Tales, Feminism, and Folklore
- The Frankfurt School
- Children, Childhood, and the Civilizing Process
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair: 1994 - 1998
- Director: 1998 - 2002
- Acting Chair: 1991 - 1994
- Playwright: September 2003 - April 2004
- Director: 1996 - present
- Instructor at the Junior Conservatory of the Children's Theatre Company of Minneapolis: Training young students in theater production, September 2003 - present
- Playwright: "Sicilian Nights," produced in collaboration with the Frank Theatre of Minneapolis, September 2003 - April 2004
- When Dreams Came True:Classical Fairy Tales and their Tradition. Zipes, Jack, Routledge, 1999.
- Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales, Children, and the Culture Industry. Zipes, Jack, Routledge, 1997.
- The Yale Companion of Jewish Writing and Thought. Zipes, Jack, edited with Sander Gilman, Yale University Press, 1999.
- The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm. Zipes, Jack, Norton, W. W. & Company, Inc., 2001.
- Sticks and Stones: The Troublesome Success of Children's Literature from Slovenly Peter to Harry Potter. Zipes, Jack, Routledge, 2000.
- Unlikely History: The Changing German-Jewish Symbiosis. Zipes, Jack, Leslie Morris, Palgrave, 2002.
- The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales. Zipes, Jack, Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Beautiful Angiola: The Great Treasury of Sicilian Folk and Fairy Tales Collected by Laura Gonzenbach. Zipes, Jack, Routledge, 2003.
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1997
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Thomas D. Clark Lectureship, University of Kentucky, 1993
- International Brothers Grimm Award, 1999
- Distinguished Scholar, International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, 1992