Language Teaching Certificate FAQ

More to know about our Language Teaching Certificate program.

No. The University of Minnesota and the Department of American Indian Studies do not have the authority to certify individuals as fluent language speakers. Students interested in such credentials should consult with elders in their affiliated tribal communities.

No. At present, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities does not offer state teacher licensure at the undergraduate level.

The certificate is a document that recognizes you have successfully completed a specialized program of study in advanced language and teaching in the Department of American Indian Studies. The program itself provides an opportunity for you to take your language education to a deeper level in order to improve your speaking ability. This certification and serves as a step to pursue state teacher certification.

No, a language teaching certificate is a credit certificate that may be added to a degree program or completed independently of an academic degree.

Your credits earned through this certificate program may transfer to a degree program. Check with the degree program's advisor to determine how your credits will transfer.

You may take one or two courses in this certificate program before you apply for official admission. However, you should apply for admission in the program as soon as possible because, as an admitted certificate student, you receive many benefits that are unavailable to non-admitted students.

Admitted certificate student benefits:

Assurance that all of your course work will count toward the certificate. Sometimes requirements change.
Receive relevant updates about the program.
Access to academic advising.
Opportunity to register earlier than a student who is not admitted.

You have four years to complete your certificate. If additional time is needed you may petition for an extension.

Most courses required for certificate programs do not need to be taken in any fixed order, though some program's courses are sequenced. Also, some 4000- and 5000-level classes have prerequisite course work. Before you take higher-level classes, you must complete the stated prerequisite course work or receive permission by the instructor to register.

Informal interviews with professors, supervisors, or professionals working in your career of interest are very effective ways to find out more about the field. Ash them about necessary skills, experience, qualifications, or any advice about how the certificate would work best for you.

With approval, transfer course work completed at an accredited institution can make up 40% of your certificate requirements.