Funding & Support
Teaching assistantships, research assistantships, fellowships, and grants provide the most common forms of support for graduate students. The director of graduate studies in your program can also help you find the resources available to support your graduate education. Funds allocated to CLA departments in support of graduate students include:
- CLA Graduate Recruitment Funds (CLAGF)
- Graduate Student Support (GSS)
- Grants to Advance Graduate Education (GAGE)
- Beverly & Richard Fink First-Year Award
- Beverly & Richard Fink Summer Research Fellowship
- Graduate Research Partnership Programs (GRPP) Summer Funding
Students who receive a multi-year funding package typically have a guaranteed base level of support tied to a 9-month, half-time teaching assistant (TA) appointment. The specific terms and conditions for your individual package are found in your letter of admission.
For the 2022-2023 academic year, a TA appointment in CLA provided a minimum stipend of $20,007 ($25.65/hour), tuition benefits for up to 14 credits a semester, and 95% of the premium for health insurance coverage on the graduate assistant plan (the remaining 5% is deducted from a student’s paychecks).
Your collegiate fee is used to provide technology services and student services (such as commencement) for CLA graduate students.
Additional Funding Opportunities
- Graduate Student Funding (Intranet)
- Funding for International Activities
- Graduate School Fellowships
- Graduate Assistant Employment Services
Graduate Research & Creative Support
Graduate research support is available through the CLA research development team including workshops designed to assist graduate students with funding for dissertation funding and other major projects. The day and time of these workshops will be posted online as they are announced.
Competitive funding resources are available for graduate students along with proposal development including: