Graduate Student Career Services
The CLA Office of Research and Graduate Programs offers comprehensive career services for Ph.D and Master's degree-seeking students and graduate alumni. As graduate students consider what they would like to do after their program, the CLA Graduate Student Career Services director provides confidential services including:
- One-on-one graduate student career advising
- Effective and job search strategies
- Interview techniques and mock-interviews
- LinkedIn profile creation and enhancement
- Academic and nonacademic career exploration
- Resume, curriculum vitae, and cover letter development
- Assistance with identifying and developing relationships with faculty, professional organizations, student groups, and employer
For departments and graduate student groups, we offer customizable workshops that can be either stand-alone or a part of courses or seminars. Workshops can address any of the above topics. Workshops are usually 50-90 minutes in length. Contact Mackenzie Sullivan, CLA Graduate Career Services Director, to arrange a workshop.
- Graduate Internship Program
CLA graduate internship program
- Job Search Prep for Grad Students Workshop Series
Whether you are looking for academic or non-academic positions, attend the Job Search Prep for Grad Students Workshop Series to explore goal setting and self-assessments, prepare for job searches, practice interviews, and learn how to negotiate for yourself.
- CLA Graduate Lighthouse Newsletter
Sign up to receive a newsletter published quarterly with graduate student-focused career planning, support services and events.
- Career Opportunity Announcements
Join the CLA Google Group to receive real-time updates regarding employment opportunities, career fair listings, and more.
Graduate Career Resources
Beyond the Professoriate
An online platform that helps grad students and PhDs leverage their education into meaningful careers, whether in academia or beyond.
A career exploration and planning tool for the humanities and social sciences.
Center for Writing
The center offers free online writing consultations for all University of Minnesota students, including reviews of job application materials.
- Graduate School Academic & Career Development Workshops
The Graduate School offers a variety of seminars and events dedicated to professional development.
- LinkedIn Learning
An online learning platform to help develop personal and professional skills including project management, user experience design, PowerPoint, Excel and much more. Log in using your U of M.
Maroon and Gold Network
Provide purposeful career-related connections and advice for students, alumni and the University of Minnesota community. Brought to you by the University of Minnesota Alumni Association.
UMN Career Services
Resources for career planning, diverse populations and international students.