A Program That’s on the Map
The master of geographic information science (MGIS) program is a unique professional masters degree with an international reputation for excellence. Our program is affiliated with the University’s Department of Geography, Environment & Society—a top-ranked department in the United States with a strong tradition in cartography and geographic information science (GIS). The MGIS program also has long standing relationships with other academic units including the Departments of Forest Resources, Computer Science, and Soil, Water & Climate and with University centers such as U-Spatial, the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, the Polar Geospatial Center, and the Minnesota Population Center.
The MGIS program provides a comprehensive GIS degree that balances theoretical, technical, applied and societal dimensions of GIS. Our program prides itself on providing a top-quality program accessible to a wide and diverse range of student interests and profiles.
- a strong professionally-based curriculum
- internationally-recognized faculty
- hands-on training from leading GIS professionals
- a diverse and active student body
- state-of-the-art facilities and resources
- an exciting metropolitan location with access to employers and internships
- flexible scheduling options, including late afternoon and evening courses to accommodate students who work full-time
The MGIS program started in 1997 as interest in geographic information science (GIS) began to boom. As one of the nation’s first professional graduate programs in GIS, our MGIS program has set the standard for other graduate GIS programs across the nation. Visit our MGIS program page to learn more about how we can help you to build a successful and enriching career in the GIS profession.