A program that's on the map
The master of geographic information science (MGIS) program is a unique professional masters degree associated with the University of Minnesota's Department of Geography, Environment & Society—a top-ranked department in the United States with a strong tradition in cartography and geographic information science (GIS). The MGIS program is also affiliated with other academic units including the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) and the Departments of Forest Resources, Computer Science, and Soil, Water & Climate.
The MGIS program provides a comprehensive GIS degree that balances theoretical, technical, applied and societal dimensions of GIS. Our program prides itself on providing a top-quality program accessible to a wide range of student interests and profiles.
- a broad, professionally-based curriculum
- internationally-recognized faculty
- hands-on training from leading GIS professionals
- a diverse and active student body
- state-of-the-art facilities and resources
- an exciting metropolitan location with access to employers and internships
- flexible scheduling options, including late afternoon and evening courses to accommodate students who work full-time
Earning your MGIS degree from the University of Minnesota will benefit your career and give you the opportunity to make a real difference in your chosen field. Whether you use your GIS knowledge to empower communities, plan urban transportation systems, chart evacuation paths, help the environment, increase market share, or pioneer new software applications, as a University of Minnesota MGIS graduate, you will always be in the company of your field's brightest minds and top achievers.